Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fouls plugs, new injectors

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xls1 View Post
    Here is your bin file with 8.1L MARINE injector data in it.
    Ok so I uploaded the revised bin. Started the car, still too rich (O2's disconnected). Not dumping raw fuel anymore but still too rich. The idle doesn't stay steady. If I hold the throttle it will stay steady for a short time, while I hold it, then will speed up and then shut down. When I restart it I have to hold the throttle and if I try to let it idle it drops very low for a couple of seconds then dies. Don't know what to do next. Do I have to adjust injector data?
    I have DBW, btw, so I can't turn a screw to increase idle speed.

Fuel Injected!
    Is this a stock LQ9? Stock cam? Using a MAF? At this point you need to be able to use a scanner that datalogs and be able to interpret what the sensors are showing. Have you verified fuel pressure at the rail with a fuel pressure tester?

Fuel Injected!
    Is this a stock LQ9? Stock cam? Using a MAF? At this point you need to be able to use a scanner that datalogs and be able to interpret what the sensors are showing. Have you verified fuel pressure at the rail with a fuel pressure tester?
    Not stock cam. Fuel pressure dead on @ 58psi, verified with gauge. Yes, has MAF. I have a scanner, I believe it datalogs. Otherwise I will try the PCM hammer datalogger. What do you suggest for datalogging? What program do I use to read the logs? I'm using tuner pro and ls droid for tuning. I need to figure this stuff out.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    I need to understand what are the steps to tuning. What do you doin what order to complete a proper tune?

Fuel Injected!
    Well saying you has a 230/235 cam would have been nice to know. No way that will idle on a stock tune. I'll edit your bin for that and it should at least idle then. I hope you put a looser converter in that transmission. It's going to need one to idle in gear with that big of a cam and the higher idle speed it will need. There are a lot of youtube videos showing step to tuning. I've been doing it since 2004 with HP Tuners and Tunercat having tuned thousands of vehicles. I learned it by doing it. Having vehicles on dynos. Being able to see what works and what doesn't Some of it is trial and error to see what works. You have to have a good understanding if how an ICE works and them what the tables in the calibration are controlling. You really have to to lots of tunes to get good at it.

Fuel Injected!
    Do you really have 4.88 gears and a 35.28" tall tire like is in your bin? And give me an email address. I'm not going to post the bin here but I'll email it to you.

Fuel Injected!
    Well saying you has a 230/235 cam would have been nice to know. No way that will idle on a stock tune. I'll edit your bin for that and it should at least idle then. I hope you put a looser converter in that transmission. It's going to need one to idle in gear with that big of a cam and the higher idle speed it will need. There are a lot of youtube videos showing step to tuning. I've been doing it since 2004 with HP Tuners and Tunercat having tuned thousands of vehicles. I learned it by doing it. Having vehicles on dynos. Being able to see what works and what doesn't Some of it is trial and error to see what works. You have to have a good understanding if how an ICE works and them what the tables in the calibration are controlling. You really have to to lots of tunes to get good at it.
    Thanks 2xls1,
    I really appreciate your help. I do have a looser converter. I have been watching a ton of you tube videos, but come away more confused because I am not sure of the order in which things should be adjusted and I am not sure what "values" I "should" be seeing. i have been building cars for many years, but this is my first EFI tune. It's a lot different than tuning carb vehicles. I will look at the changes you make to my bin and compare the previous bin. That should give me some insight to what I should be looking for. I was also confused on how to use throttle area to control idle speed and how to tune MAF. I will continue to look at youtube videos and hopefully you won't mind me leaning on you a little more.
    Thank you
    Tom

Fuel Injected!
    I have 4.88 's.. yes Tires are 275/60/15. Should I post the email address here?

Fuel Injected!
    should be 28" ?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    Should I post the email address here?
    Yes..

Fuel Injected!
    Yes..
    Tsaccente@optonline.net

Fuel Injected!
    Check your mail.

Fuel Injected!
    Check your mail.
    Unbelievable!!! The car runs! When I first started it, it started on the first crank. It ran around 17-1800 rpm. I did some logging, the file is kind of crude, looking for more info on datalogging. I noticed the log file said it was going 7mph. I have the car on jackstands, no shifter yet, front end disassembled. Sure enough it was in gear. I shut it off, put in park and restarted. Idles around 775 rpm. What a difference. I'm looking over the compare files in tuner pro to see what was changed so that I may get a better understanding of what is being controlled by what. Still a little rich, but that's to be expected, since this is just a preliminary tune. I'm just happy it runs.. I also found out that my cooling fan is not up to the task of cooling the engine, so need to correct that issue. I noticed the idle hangs when I "goose" the throttle. Based on some of the videos i watched on you tube, I'm thinking to bring the timing down some? But need more data first. How do you know what numbers to plug into the MAF Grams/sec? Is it a manufacturer spec? If the injector PW is shortened, will it lean out some. How would I use a wide band with tuner pro? I probably should wait til I put an exhaust system on before fine tuning? How do you interpret the numbers in the main ve table, what do they related to? Lot to learn, Thanks a million 2xls1, thanks a million!

Fuel Injected!
    Get an exhaust system on it first so you can plug in the O2s and it can go into closed loop. What I sent you was something to just get it running on it's own without throttle input. Those idle issues and hanging idle are easy fixes. Probably just take out some idle air flow. I didn't change any of the fan settings in your bin because I didn't know what your fan setup is (single or dual fans) or what kind of harness you are using. I saw you had already set it to auxiliary fans and had set turn on and off temps. I never use that setting. Even if it is a single fan I set it to 2 fans. The MAF table is calibrated for a stock GM 5 wire MAF. That and the VE table can be tweaked once the vehicle is road worthy and can be driven. There is just so much you can do with it on jackstands. It's troubling that it started in gear from a safety standpoint. You need to figure out some kind of park/neutral safety switch because it doesn't sound like you have one. Also if you haven't already, take the throttle body off and give it a through cleaning front and back side around the bore and blade. I like to see them spotless. It is a very often overlooked maintenance item and a dirty TB can cause idle issues on ETC systems. Also be aware that every tuner has different ways of doing things. I've developed my way after years of doing it on more vehicles than I can count. My methods may be different than what another tuner may suggest or what you see on youtube. Also not very many people use Tunerpro. Most tutorials you are going to find are going to be based on using HP Tuners for both tuning and scanning so tables and nomenclature will probably be different. I gave you a good starting point. Good luck with your project.

Fuel Injected!
    And on the running rich, remember it is in open loop with your open exhaust and no O2s. If you are going by exhaust smell you really don't know what it is. With the amount of overlap that cam has and no cats it is going to have a fuel smell at idle. Lots of unburnt air and fuel going out the exhaust at overlap. Only real way to tell is with a wide band O2 in the exhaust. Once you the exhaust sealed up and the O2s plugged in it will go into closed loop and with fuel trimming should run at stoich.