Thread: Tuner Pro RT ECM flashing

Electronic Ignition!

Tuner Pro RT ECM flashing

I've decided I'm NOT going to rebuild the 5.7 small block in my 90 C1500. Instead I plan on swapping a LS into it.

My question is... Will Tuner Pro RT directly flash the ECM (OBD II) of choice or do I need another piece of hardware? Looks simple enough to turn off VATS and sensors you don't need. Tuning may be another issue but at least I can get the engine to run.

Thank you!

Ken
    Last edited by kenh397; 08-24-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Personally I used Tuner Pro RT to edit with good known OS and .xdf files, and use LS Droid for the flashing.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

Fuel Injected!
    Same for me, almost. I use Tuner Pro RT to edit and then use either LS Droid or PCM Hammer to do the writing. And I use a junk yard parts bench harness powered by a three amp, 13.8 volt DC, very dependable Radio Shack power supply.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Electronic Ignition!
    OK. Thank you. I'll look at both of those.

Are they easy to use. I'm not even close to being a computer nerd! lol Well i guess I can learn but old dogs take a long time to do so! haha I was hot rodding back in the early 70's to give you an idea.

Thanks again!

Ken

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Ken,

If I can learn it, so can you - my first street rod was a 70 Nova back in the mid 70's. PCM Hammer and LS Droid can only read and write with the P01 and P59 PCM devices so don't pick one more modern than these two types.

I'm still not good at all with changing the fueling, injector specifications, cam shaft parameters or to a more efficient intake manifold because my El Camino engine didn't need any of those. I can defeat VATS and other engine things that no longer apply to my tune, reset the differential gear and tire height for best shifting and speedometer / odometer operation. And set my desired engine RPM. Just the basic stuff. Maybe I will get better at the rest of it someday.

For you, I recommend getting a spare junk yard PCM to practice on. Around here, I can get them for anywhere between $16 and $37 depending if they are on sale or not and I have a small stack of a half a dozen or so set to go. Its tough for me to walk away from one in the junk yard that somebody has already mostly liberated for me and I have yet to find a junk yard PCM that can't be flashed into something usable with my vehicle. These devices are quite hardy and dependable.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks! I was looking at the LS droid page and there is something about discontinuing support for some hardware??? Is PCM Hammer still in a BETA stage? I'm just a little confused I guess. Are there any tuning apps that will run directly off a laptop?

A work mate has a gen 4 engine that has been "freshened" and the AFM deleted with new cam and lifters, gaskets and some other stuff. If I can get it for the money he is asking it is a steal. Supposedly a complete engine ready to drop in. (haven't seen it yet) BUT, no ECM, or is it PCM?? harness or anything to support the engine. My thought is to grab a ECM from from a GEN 4 that does not have the AFM along with any other support parts like the throttle and TAC if needed.

Thanks Rick!

Ken

Fuel Injected!
    PCM Hammer still has warnings on it, but it's quite reliable. I've used it to flash my C5 dozens of times.

It's extremely reliable with a workbench flashing setup. For in-car flashing, do a few test writes first. If those go well, you can expect real flashes to go well too. Some vehicles have modules that will interrupt the flash, hence the test writes to find out.

Lots of people use LS Droid too, I'm just partial to PCM Hammer because I wrote a lot of it. :)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    PCM Hammer still has warnings on it, but it's quite reliable. I've used it to flash my C5 dozens of times.

It's extremely reliable with a workbench flashing setup. For in-car flashing, do a few test writes first. If those go well, you can expect real flashes to go well too. Some vehicles have modules that will interrupt the flash, hence the test writes to find out.

Lots of people use LS Droid too, I'm just partial to PCM Hammer because I wrote a lot of it. :)
    And something you guys should be very proud of, it's a great utility

I'm a cord kinda guy so I haven't checked out the droid bluetooth stuff but I've heard great things too.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 08-25-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenh397 View Post
    Thanks! I was looking at the LS droid page and there is something about discontinuing support for some hardware??? Is PCM Hammer still in a BETA stage? I'm just a little confused I guess. Are there any tuning apps that will run directly off a laptop?

A work mate has a gen 4 engine that has been "freshened" and the AFM deleted with new cam and lifters, gaskets and some other stuff. If I can get it for the money he is asking it is a steal. Supposedly a complete engine ready to drop in. (haven't seen it yet) BUT, no ECM, or is it PCM?? harness or anything to support the engine. My thought is to grab a ECM from from a GEN 4 that does not have the AFM along with any other support parts like the throttle and TAC if needed.

Thanks Rick!

Ken
    The gen 4 is usually a 58x crank and 4x cam. PCM Hammer works with the 99-07 red/blueconnector(PO1) and the blue/green connector(P59) pcms. Most Gen4's with 58x use an E38 ECM and a separate TCM for the trans controller. You can change the reluctor on the crank back to 24x encoded and 1x cam timing gear to use the earlier computers and available freeware. Not much freeware for the newer computers at this time.
    No TAC module needed on the newer computers, E38,E67,E78 and can run the larger 6 pin 4 bolt TB's.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 08-25-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    The gen 4 is usually a 58x crank and 4x cam. PCM Hammer works with the 99-07 red/blueconnector(PO1) and the blue/green connector(P59) pcms. Most Gen4's with 58x use an E38 ECM and a separate TCM for the trans controller. You can change the reluctor on the crank back to 24x encoded and 1x cam timing gear to use the earlier computers and available freeware. Not much freeware for the newer computers at this time.
    No TAC module needed on the newer computers, E38,E67,E78 and can run the larger 6 pin 4 bolt TB's.
    That is good info about the ECM and Gen 4. I'll have to take a close look at this engine before I make a decision. THANK YOU!!

Ken