Thread: Hello Gearheads!

Carb and Points!

Hello Gearheads!

I started working with FI systems about 5 years ago and I really took a deep dive into EFI over the last year. 20 years of dealing with carbs and conventional ignition systems and I have had enough! My current project is for my daily driver, a 1989 LTD Crown Victoria. I have built up a police 351W with a roller cam block. Ford's FI systems for the 351W will not clear the hoodline on the car (all stock 351Ws use the old variable venturi carb and there is no way I am going down that road). I will be mating GMs TBI system to the 351W (I have done this in the past with other engines). You have an excellent site here, the reference material around the various TBI setups is very helpful. Looking forward to completing my project and thanks in advance for any insight/help!

Which TBI computer are you planning to use?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hi Dave, sorry for the late reply. I am planning on using the GM 16136965 TBI setup, I found a complete system off of a 5.7 car. The 16136965 set-up is ideal as I have to meet emissions guidelines when getting my car registered (I have to preserve the various ancillary emission control systems). Also, when doing a powertrain swap, registration requirements specify that any systems must also come from a car (not a truck). Hence the 16136965 is ideal. I do have 2 questions regarding this:

* WinALDL is not compatible with the 16136965 ECM. What tuning program can I use?
    * The main schematic file listed at http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-62 is corrupt (this is the fifth image showing the main wiring schematic). Any ideas on how this schematic can be accessed (only about 1/4 of the image will load)?

-Andy

Hi Andy,
    The .ads file in the http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-62 link is for TunerPro RT tuning program. Maybe this link will help with information about TunerPro RT, but the video is for a different computer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

I'm not sure what is happening with the pictures, the first four opened for me. Try a right click on the picture and select open image in a new tab. The 5th image opened with the right click / open image in a new tab, but was very small.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hi Dave, the first four images opened for me without a problem as well, the only issue I am running into is with the fifth image. I have tried everything (opening the image in a new tab, trying to download the image, trying different web browsers, trying different computers, etc). I did try your suggestion to right click / open image however this only opens the small-thumbnail in the posting and not the high-resolution image. While the small image is complete it is too small to be useful as you can't make out any details.

The original linked image must be corrupt. By any chance do you or any of the other site admins have access to the original file? Perhaps it is archived on a backup somewhere? Thanks for your insight on this, let me know what you think on a potential backup.

-Andy

Gearhead-efi is supported by volunteers, not endless popup ads. It's nearly a full time job keeping spammers out and hackers from crashing the site. With that said, we can look for the original file and attempt to fix the thumbnail image to link correctly. Honestly, it's a low priority.

What I can say . . . the first four images are accurate and correct. The fifth image likely has the exact same information as the first four images, but presented differently. I've seen similar images, like the fifth image, available on the Autozone vehicle information website (if you register with Autozone). https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-...iring-diagrams

dave w