Thread: hoping to find some EFI advice

Electronic Ignition!

hoping to find some EFI advice

Thanks for letting me join. My current ride is a 73 El Camino w/383sbc with Holley stealthram, bbk trottlebody, and running ACCEL gen7dfi.
    Its my first motor with EFI.
    I need replace the ACCEL gen7dfi because I have no Cal map cable and can't make any adjustments on it and it's outdated anyway and I'd like to move up to self learning. I'm hoping to find some advice as to what my best optione are. I've been looking at FAST EZ EFI multi-port retrofit kit 302000. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnatthebox View Post
    Thanks for letting me join. My current ride is a 73 El Camino w/383sbc with Holley stealthram, bbk trottlebody, and running ACCEL gen7dfi.
    Its my first motor with EFI.
    I need replace the ACCEL gen7dfi because I have no Cal map cable and can't make any adjustments on it and it's outdated anyway and I'd like to move up to self learning. I'm hoping to find some advice as to what my best optione are. I've been looking at FAST EZ EFI multi-port retrofit kit 302000. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Personally I would stay away from anything FAST, efi or trans controller. Unless things have changed that crapola is garbage. I can probably borrow a gen7 cable and make you a copy if you would like. John Meany(sp?) did a good job copying/improving the gm stuff, back in the day, that is used in the Accel stuff. I have tuned just about every box on the planet, including pectel for example. A better aftermarket alternative at a reasonable price is the Holley stuff. I personally would stick with GM stuff, not quite as user friendly but incredibly better.

edit, btw...all of these boxes have to do the same thing at the end of the day. Some have more power/adjustability than others. Very hard to find something more powerful than OEM since they spend all the money and 1000's of man hours where most aftermarket has neither the time or the money.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 09-05-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for replying. I was really hoping take advantage of the self learning aspect of the fast ez-efi. is that just a lot of hype? Does Holley make a retrofit kit for multi-port setups also? The motors nothing crazy 383sbc roller w/dart heads daily driver maybe 400hp on a good day. It ran fine with the accel gen7 since I got it but now acting all wonky and surging and cutting out just dumping fuel one minute then starving the next. The box itself is making this ticking sound. It's all bad. I could put a carb and intake on it but I've already got the stealth ram and all the other stuff so I'd like to keep it EFI. plus the cam is made for fuel injection.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Personally I would stay away from anything FAST, efi or trans controller. Unless things have changed that crapola is garbage. I can probably borrow a gen7 cable and make you a copy if you would like. John Meany(sp?) did a good job copying/improving the gm stuff, back in the day, that is used in the Accel stuff. I have tuned just about every box on the planet, including pectel for example. A better aftermarket alternative at a reasonable price is the Holley stuff. I personally would stick with GM stuff, not quite as user friendly but incredibly better.

edit, btw...all of these boxes have to do the same thing at the end of the day. Some have more power/adjustability than others. Very hard to find something more powerful than OEM since they spend all the money and 1000's of man hours where most aftermarket has neither the time or the money.
    I do have a cal map cable but for some reason it just doesn't work. Maybe I could send it do you and you could look at it or something? I took it to a computer nerd shop and had them look at the board and they said all the connections looked good and we're puzzled as to why it wasn't working. The laptop just doesn't recognize it. I'm barely computer-functional so I can't tell you much more than that about it. I also dobt know why the ACCEL gen7 box just started messing up after running fine4 over a year. I can start the car and it runs good . I drive it4 about a mile and then it starts choking and surging and then I park it and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes get in it starts runs fine I can drive for about a mile and then it starts messing up again.

Electronic Ignition!
    If I were to look for a factory Box 2 replace the accel what one would I look for? I might still have access to one that came out of an LT1 police car but I don't think it has a harness with it. Would that be a total nightmare try and get working?
    Last edited by johnatthebox; 09-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.