Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Inline 6 on a 0411 pcm

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwon View Post
    A little more progress.
    Can anyone tell me what the gap should be between the sensor and reluctor?

Attachment 17119Attachment 17120
    Nice work!

I don't remember exactly what the gap needs to be. I'm thinking about 0.040". What I remember doing to figure out the gap was power on the CKP sensor using the PCM. I temporarily removed the CKP signal wire from the computer and connected a volt meter to the CKP signal wire and rotated the engine by hand to see when the CKP signal triggered on / off watching the volt meter.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Nice work!

I don't remember exactly what the gap needs to be. I'm thinking about 0.040". What I remember doing to figure out the gap was power on the CKP sensor using the PCM. I temporarily removed the CKP signal wire from the computer and connected a volt meter to the CKP signal wire and rotated the engine by hand to see when the CKP signal triggered on / off watching the volt meter.

dave w
    I've found anywhere from 0.009" to 0.120" so 0.040" sounds like a good place to start.

Now I've got a lot of wiring to do.

I did my first full write with PCM Hammer, on the pcm I'm going to be using. It went great, did a full write in 1 min 9 sec.
    First write resized.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Dave can you tell me what pcm wires I HAVE to have to run this thing as a stand alone?

Dave can you tell me what pcm wires I HAVE to have to run this thing as a stand alone?
    I don't have schematics for a V6, but the attached V8 2002 Vortec Schematics.zip will be nearly identical to the V6 less two injectors.

The PCM will run with Battery Positive, Battery Negative, and Ignition On / Start wiring working. I strongly recommend 10 Amp fuses for Battery + and Ignition On / Start wiring.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    I don't have schematics for a V6, but the attached V8 2002 Vortec Schematics.zip will be nearly identical to the V6 less two injectors.

The PCM will run with Battery Positive, Battery Negative, and Ignition On / Start wiring working. I strongly recommend 10 Amp fuses for Battery + and Ignition On / Start wiring.

dave w
    Thanks and I have a 6 circuit fuse box everything will run through.

Fuel Injected!
    So I think I'm going to change what I'm going to run my Jeep engine on.
    I went to the U pull it and found a 2004 Astro van with the 4.3L that had nothing missing from the wiring harness or sensors. I got the whole thing for $80. P59 and all.
    Now I've got to cut down the harness and set up a tune to run it on. It's an auto trans tune and I'm going to need to seg swap to make it a manual trans.
    I lucked out with it being OS 12587603 and I found a manual bin on line. So I seg swapped it to a manual trans.
    Dave if you get a min take a look at it for me. This is the first time I've done anything like this.

A torque converted with fluid will load the engine differently than a flywheel and clutch on deceleration.

I've experienced better results using an original manual transmission OS with a Manual Trans. The Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) can be problematic when segment swapping a manual trans into an automatic OS.

When I flash a 5.3 liter for manual trans (5.3's were not mated to manual trans from the factory), I'll start with the a 4.8 Manual OS and hand pick the 5.3 Engine Parameters I will swap (Fuel / Air / Spark). Using a complete 5.3 engine segment swap into a 4.8 manual OS can adversely affect DFCO.

Knowing you have an Inline 6 vs. the 4.3 V6, it's anybody's GUESS what DFCO will actually look like. At this point in time, there are other "Things" to work on. The trans segment swap posted above is a good "best guess" or starter .bin file. Keep the forward progress going, tweak DFCO some other day.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 10-07-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    A torque converted with fluid will load the engine differently than a flywheel and clutch on deceleration.

I've experienced better results using an original manual transmission OS with a Manual Trans. The Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) can be problematic when segment swapping a manual trans into an automatic OS.

When I flash a 5.3 liter for manual trans (5.3's were not mated to manual trans from the factory), I'll start with the a 4.8 Manual OS and hand pick the 5.3 Engine Parameters I will swap (Fuel / Air / Spark). Using a complete 5.3 engine segment swap into a 4.8 manual OS can adversely affect DFCO.

Knowing you have an Inline 6 vs. the 4.3 V6, it's anybody's GUESS what DFCO will actually look like. At this point in time, there are other "Things" to work on. The trans segment swap posted above is a good "best guess" or starter .bin file. Keep the forward progress going, tweak DFCO some other day.

dave w
    Just so you know I will be running a automatic trans, just not a GM trans. I'm keeping the Jeep auto that all it needs to shift is a TPS signal RPM and a speed signal. And I have those covered.

Just so you know I will be running a automatic trans, just not a GM trans. I'm keeping the Jeep auto that all it needs to shift is a TPS signal RPM and a speed signal. And I have those covered.
    Oh, thanks for the clarification.

For non-GM Auto Trans and GM Auto Trans without Electronic Shifting, I use the baseline Auto Trans OS with All Automatic Transmission errors disabled.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Oh, thanks for the clarification.

For non-GM Auto Trans and GM Auto Trans without Electronic Shifting, I use the baseline Auto Trans OS with All Automatic Transmission errors disabled.

dave w
    Now, see, I wouldn't have thought of that!!
    Dave, I really do appreciate the advice. Like I've said before, I'm learning.

Fuel Injected!
    So, I'll need to go through all the codes for the trans and turn each one off?

So, I'll need to go through all the codes for the trans and turn each one off?
    Possibly compare the transmission error codes within the same OS manual vs. automatic for a guideline of what automatic error codes to disable.

Hint: Depending on the OS, there are some transmission error codes enabled for both manual and automatic transmission . . . which is interesting.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    have you considered a non 0411 PCM? you may be able to work with a PCM from a 3400 or 3800, I have a thread detailing the differences between the PCM wiring. if you ran an external 24x crank trigger, you could probably run LS coils without a distributor at all.

http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...V6-PCM-pinouts

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
    have you considered a non 0411 PCM? you may be able to work with a PCM from a 3400 or 3800, I have a thread detailing the differences between the PCM wiring. if you ran an external 24x crank trigger, you could probably run LS coils without a distributor at all.

http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...V6-PCM-pinouts
    Thanks for sharing that with me.
    That's a lot of info you put in that thread.
    I'm actually using a P59 computer hardware #12583659. It came from a 2004 Astro van.
    I'm just looking for anything that will run my 4.0L Jeep engine and be reliable. The 30+ year old Jeep wiring is junk. And of course it's not OBD2 so it can't tell you what's wrong.

I picked the P01 and P59 because I have PCM Hammer to read and write to them. I use TunerPro RT to modify tunes.
    I'm going to be looking at the other 6 cyl GM systems because I have two other Jeeps I want to fuel inject. So the info you posted will probably be useful.

Fuel Injected!
    ericjon262 What program do you use to read/write to these pcms?