Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Inline 6 on a 0411 pcm

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwon View Post
    ericjon262 What program do you use to read/write to these pcms?

Right now, I'm using winflash and tunercat obd2, in the past, I've used DHP and tiny tuner(just a bin editor) with good results, DHP is now defunct though, I've heard you can buy an ACVT-852 cable and use the DHP software (if you can find it). otherwise there's HP tuners, which is probably the easiest to get, but the most expensive to continually operate. I'm exploring options to improve capability of the obd2 PCM, but I haven't gotten too far yet.

Tiny Tuner:

http://theblattners.com/Projects/Tin..._XsKGP_EMPHWCY

Fuel Injected!
    Well it runs pretty good for the first time I started it.

Fuel Injected!
    Well it runs pretty good for the first time I started it.

Way to go. It's refreshing in today's day and age to see someone thinking outside the box and engineering something like that. We seem to be living in an age where people just want to watch a YouTube video to show them how to do something rather than just figuring something out on their own like we used to do. Maybe car crafting isn't dead.

Cool

Possibly pictures of the distributor will be shared?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Possibly pictures of the distributor will be shared?

dave w
    I'm using the stock distributor from a 1996 Cherokee.

signal-2021-10-21-163352.jpg
    signal-2021-10-21-163336.jpg

I'm using the stock distributor from a 1996 Cherokee.

signal-2021-10-21-163352.jpg
    signal-2021-10-21-163336.jpg
    Any modifications required to the Stock 1996 Distributor?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Any modifications required to the Stock 1996 Distributor?

dave w
    Just had to change the wire plug. I did the same with the TPS and the IAC plugged in and seams to be working.
    I don't have the 02 sensors installed yet so it's running open loop.

Just had to change the wire plug. I did the same with the TPS and the IAC plugged in and seams to be working.
    I don't have the 02 sensors installed yet so it's running open loop.
    For sure . . . the devil is in the details

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    For sure . . . the devil is in the details

dave w
    Dave this system runs two 02 sensors. But the manifold only has one bung in it. Do you think I can get away with hooking both inputs to one 02 sensor?
    I just don't want to have to pull the exhaust manifold off again, it's a P I A.
    Here's another video of it running.

Dave this system runs two 02 sensors. But the manifold only has one bung in it. Do you think I can get away with hooking both inputs to one 02 sensor?
    I just don't want to have to pull the exhaust manifold off again, it's a P I A.
    Here's another video of it running.
    I'm guessing, but I think two O2 sensors in a single exhaust is mostly OK. I'm thinking GM used Bank Assignments on V6 / V8 engines for Fuel Trims . . . for error codes Bank 1 / Bank 2 rich or lean. Theoretically (I think), both O2 sensors in a single exhaust would simultaneously trigger Bank 1 / Bank 2 rich or lean errors and simultaneously correct to the same rich / lean fuel trims?

What happens when one spark plug fails in the inline 6 with two O2 sensors in a single exhaust causing "All Banks" to run rich is anyone's guess how the engine will perform or cause potential engine damage? What happens when one O2 sensor fails with two O2 sensors in a single exhaust is anybody's guess what "All Banks" will do for engine performance or potential engine damage?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Well I've had to change up the distributor. When I installed it I didn't think about where in the crank rotation the sink signal was sent to the computer. I am getting a sink error.
    I have no way to look at the signal so I'm guessing.
    So I set the engine at TDC #1 and the reluctor was about 90 deg from the signal coil. I then rotated the distributor and reset the plug wires appropriately.
    It idles much smoother and runs stronger.
    This is a learning experience so I'm figuring it out as I go.
    I guess I'm going to have to buy a oscilloscope. And then learn how to use it.

Maybe this CASE Learn procedure will help?

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-scannerreader

Crank Relearn Instructions (With and Without an OBD Scanner/Reader)
    Posted by Alex E. on 19 March 2016 04:29 PM
    These Crank Relearn Instructions may not apply to all vehicles. But they're close to how it's done on most cars.

To perform the relearn, proceed as follows:

Connect a scanner to make sure there are no trouble codes stored in the computer’s memory.

If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that caused the code has been eliminated.

Also, make sure that the engine coolant (check it when the engine is cold) and oil levels are at an acceptable level.

1. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels. Make sure that the hood is closed.

2. Start the engine and make sure that the engine coolant temperature is at least 158 degrees F. (70 degrees C.)

3. Turn the engine off for at least 10 seconds.

4. Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure (CASE Learn)on your scanner.

5. Make sure that the transmission is in Park. Start the engine.

6. Apply the brakes and hold the pedal firmly.

7. Follow the scanner instructions.

Remember: That you are going to increase the engine speed to approximately 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or 5150 RPM. That’s the variation learn fuel cutoff RPM (depending upon the engine), and that it’s important to release the throttle when the engine RPM starts to decrease as a result of the fuel cutoff going into effect. Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage.

8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scanner indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete. If CASE has not been learned, check for the presence of other power train codes. If any exist, correct the problem, then repeat this procedure.

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scanner (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.

2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.

3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.

4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.

5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.

6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.

7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe this CASE Learn procedure will help?

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-scannerreader

Crank Relearn Instructions (With and Without an OBD Scanner/Reader)
    Posted by Alex E. on 19 March 2016 04:29 PM
    These Crank Relearn Instructions may not apply to all vehicles. But they're close to how it's done on most cars.

To perform the relearn, proceed as follows:

Connect a scanner to make sure there are no trouble codes stored in the computer’s memory.

If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that caused the code has been eliminated.

Also, make sure that the engine coolant (check it when the engine is cold) and oil levels are at an acceptable level.

1. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels. Make sure that the hood is closed.

2. Start the engine and make sure that the engine coolant temperature is at least 158 degrees F. (70 degrees C.)

3. Turn the engine off for at least 10 seconds.

4. Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure (CASE Learn)on your scanner.

5. Make sure that the transmission is in Park. Start the engine.

6. Apply the brakes and hold the pedal firmly.

7. Follow the scanner instructions.

Remember: That you are going to increase the engine speed to approximately 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or 5150 RPM. That’s the variation learn fuel cutoff RPM (depending upon the engine), and that it’s important to release the throttle when the engine RPM starts to decrease as a result of the fuel cutoff going into effect. Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage.

8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scanner indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete. If CASE has not been learned, check for the presence of other power train codes. If any exist, correct the problem, then repeat this procedure.

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scanner (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.

2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.

3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.

4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.

5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.

6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.

7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

I may try this but I think my issue is that the jeep distributor is more that 100 deg out from where it should be.
    I pulled it apart last night and moved the reluctor to where I think it should be.
    After I've ran it for a few miles I'll check it.

Fuel Injected!
    So I got the O2 sensor hooked up today and on the short test run I made it really helped it. I'll be driving it about 60 miles tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.
    I'm running one O2 with it hooked to the input to both bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. I'm using bank 1 sensor 1 12v to heat it. I turned the DTC off for the other O2.
    I've also got the fans running off the computer.

Fuel Injected!
    So I got the O2 sensor hooked up today and on the short test run I made it really helped it. I'll be driving it about 60 miles tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.
    I'm running one O2 with it hooked to the input to both bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. I'm using bank 1 sensor 1 12v to heat it. I turned the DTC off for the other O2.
    I've also got the fans running off the computer.
    I think the answer is even more simple. Put all 6 cylinders fuel injectors on Bank 1 and disable the codes for bank 2 sensors.

As for running a non computer auto trans. Flip the switch in the transmission tab to non computerized automatic and rewrite the entire file. Has worked on the numerous operating systems I have tried. Zero transmission related codes and you can even enable a single wire Park/Neutral switch.