Hi all,

Trying to troubleshoot an issue before shot gunning parts. The question isn't the TBI, per say, but related. I'm happy to repost in a different forum if needed.

I have a 1990 Police 5.7 in an FJ40 trail vehicle. This year it has only been out of the garage twice. A year ago I posted about the engine stalling. I had thought it was an injector issue, but after lots of hunting I determined it was a wiring issue. The 4 wire plug that plugs into the distributor ICM was missing insulation and the bare wires were corroded. The high resistance led to lots of voltage drop and the return sense wire was not making a connection at all triggering a fault code. I replaced the wire harness and it drove great afterward with no more fault code for the sense signal. I have only driven it maybe four or fine days since.

Yesterday I went on a four wheeling trip. The whole trip the check engine light kept coming on and going off without performance degradation. I connected Tuner Pro today and the fault code is for a low coolant temp. I don't believe this is related to my current problem, but does need to be solved. While monitoring with Tuner Pro today the temp seemed fine so I am guessing it's intermittent, either a failing sensor or bad wire.

Now to the larger problem, while driving home the engine lost power several times for a few seconds and puffs of black smoke came out the exhaust. The worst one was for several seconds, but the engine came back on as I was drifting onto the shoulder. It happened a total of 6 times in the two hour drive before I got home.

First question just to make sure, a low coolant temp error would not cause the engine to cut out, right? Seems ignition related to me.

My thought on the engine cutting out issue is related to my previous distributor wiring issue. I suspect the low voltage/high resistance may have degraded the ICM.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks