Thread: Cant get my tbi 350 to run after cam swap.

Fuel Injected!

Cant get my tbi 350 to run after cam swap.

I just replaced the camshaft in my 350. The timing set is new and the cam and crank gear are properly lined up with the dot on each gear pointing at each other. I verified the harmonic balancer and timing cover marks are correct using a piston stop and degree wheel. I double checked every valve setting the preload initially at 1/4 turn. The engine is fuel injected and the distributor is supposed to be set at 0 degrees. I set the distributor at zero degrees for tdc on number 1 cylinder and i have the rotor pointing to the number one plug wire. I double checked the firing order and made sure it was good on the cap and that all wires were going to the proper plug. The issue is the engine does not want to start it just cranks. It has throttle body injection so i can watch the fuel injectors spraying fuel. I can get it to start with starting fluid but it will quickly start backfiring through the intake. I tried putting the distributor in 180 from its current location just to see what would happen and it’s definitely wrong as it immediately spits out the intake when using starting fluid. Im not sure what else to do. The engine ran before i replaced the camshaft.

Fuel Injected!
    I got the issue solved. Turns out my valves were adjusted to tight.

Fuel Injected!
    if you install the dist with the gears "dot to dot" the rotor should be pointing at #6 on the cap FWIW. I normally roll it over until #1 is on compression a stroke and find TDC on the timing marks (for stock stuff). not sure how tight you had valves set but must have been well over 1 turn preload.