Thread: Chip or EFI

Carb and Points!

Chip or EFI

Hi bros, I know there are lots of info about it but it is too much that at the end is not clear enough.

Got a Tahoe TBI 95, the engine was rebuilt and put a big cam and flat pistons, now the ECM doesn´t know what to do, therefore it needs a new chip or an EFI system.

I'd rather an EFI system but it's too much for my budget.

Then, I'm leaning to a new chip. I have some experience with Diablo Sport and I thinks is similar to an EFI program, it just needs tweak some values and that´s it, very simple.

But about reprogram a new chip this is my main concern:

According to my research, I need to get a bin definition file but the file maybe doesn´t match my OEM setup, so I guess I need more knowledge about it, with an EFI tuner or with Diablo Sport I just need to add or substract a value but with Tuner Pro I think is more complicated.

Please tell me if I'm right or wrong about how to reprogram it.

This is my daily driver, I just want to optimize my engine, this is not for racing. I just need an optimal setup and that's it.

Regards

If the Tahoe has PCM 16197427 and a 4L60E then the information in this link is a good place to start for a chip: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-0D

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    If the Tahoe has PCM 16197427 and a 4L60E then the information in this link is a good place to start for a chip: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-0D

dave w
    I put a T56 on it. I´ll check the PCM number and read that thread.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    try wester's garage

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    try wester's garage
    You mean a custom tune? I guess so because their software is too expensive, at least for a final user.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    yes, a custom tune. diy is more than possible but easy to get frustrated and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    I put a T56 on it. I´ll check the PCM number and read that thread.

Thanks
    Set the 16197427 Chip to Manual Transmission and "disable all the Automatic Transmission Codes."

An automatic transmission will load an engine differently than a manual transmission during Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO).

dave w

Carb and Points!
    yes, a custom tune. diy is more than possible but easy to get frustrated and give up.
    You think that they are better that Harristuning.com? it's a real question, I only know about Harris that have many experience but I've seen some bad reviews.

Thanks

Carb and Points!
    Set the 16197427 Chip to Manual Transmission and "disable all the Automatic Transmission Codes."

An automatic transmission will load an engine differently than a manual transmission during Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO).

dave w
    Haven't check my PCM yet. The fuel pump died and replaced with a Vortec style but there are some issues about it. When I solve them I'll check the PCM number.

Thanks

Tuning with a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) is usually a DIY project. http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...g)-Spreadsheet

Chip Tuners, TBI Chips and Webster's Garage do not offer WBO2 tuning, which might help improve their reviews.

dave w

WBO2 Spreadsheet Results.jpg

WBO2 Spreadsheet Results_PE.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    dave, i have recommended your services in the past but not sure of your work load. i dont mind sending people your way if you are not swamped.

dave, i have recommended your services in the past but not sure of your work load. i dont mind sending people your way if you are not swamped.
    I greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Often, TunerPro RT is something not everyone is up to speed with. I'm willing to help someone out, when they are up to speed with TunerPro RT data logging.

It's very helpful to start the tuning process with; the vehicle application, engine modifications, transmission, a data log, and the .bin file or BCC used when the data log was recorded.

dave w

I greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Often, TunerPro RT is something not everyone is up to speed with. I'm willing to help someone out, when they are up to speed with TunerPro RT data logging.

It's very helpful to start the tuning process with; the vehicle application, engine modifications, transmission, a data log, and the .bin file or BCC used when the data log was recorded.

dave w
    YouTube video's about TunerPro RT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaaV9OVrve4&t=96s

dave w