Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G20 Van with RV Cam no power on acceleration, where to start?

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, one more edit

Here's a link to summit for one of the widebands I use. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0310 It is Bosch 4.9 sensor(very good) and has a nice 0-5v linear output. Like you I don't use a slow ass gauge but rely on my data acquisition. When tuning I still use the narrow band sensors and weld an extra bung in the exhaust for my wide band, then cap it when done tuning. I generally don't pipe the wideband back to the ecu and use my own datalogging equipment, however, I just did a 94/95 Lt-1 and piped it through the EGR feedback pin for my 0-5v wideband and it worked nicely without having to hook up all my crapola. Gauges are wayyyyy too slow to do any kind of AE so datalogging is key for most. I do have a super fast analog gauge that I used to use, but shite, just the gauge without an enclosure was over $500 20 years ago and not sure you can even buy it anymore.
    For AE tuning you need at least a 25hz sample rate.

I use dataq.com for inexpensive data acquisition. Shoot, my first couple units were db9 serial and I want to say only about $25 ea back then. Now they have a nice USB version for $59 and the software is AWESOME. You can tailor it to whatever and name the channels accordingly. Real-time AE with an emulator and watching the wideband and TPS is the shiznit. It takes a bit of time to set up, but you will never look back :)
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Well after spending sometime reading and clicking, I think I answered my own question.
    The gauge setup Dave reference's seems to be a simple system and the gauge itself is the controller and will convert it as needed to send it to datalogging program in my case TunerPro. Selling with O2 Sensor for about 150 (on Amazon) you can by just the Gauge/controller for about 140 (on Amazon).

The system In-tech referenced looks to offer many additional interface options to provide data to other systems, it sells for about 180 on Amazon.

I think for my basic OBD 1 system best way to go is like Dave calls out, bad part is I will only use this set up while tuning this truck and then don't plan on using it again.

Raymo86 what are your plans with yours when done tuning?

Fuel Injected!
    I have no personal experience but seem to read those gauge thingys with external 0-5v do work well. Like you just asked, seems buying one and then re-sell when finished and pay forward kinda. Use it and re-sell...I think we have a buy/sell/trade forum here :D
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Sorry to the delay in response. I plan on keeping the 02 Sensor in the Van for awhile anyway. At least until it warms up enough to do some datalogging!!

Quick update: I installed the AEM Wideband a few weeks ago, but it has been too cold here in to do any data logging. I was bored so I updated the fuel pump as suggested by PlayingwithTBI to a ACDelco EP381. Changed the Spring to 14 PSI and modified the TBI to allow more Air. None of this made it run any better, but no worse.. . At Idle it the Air/Fuel is around 10.51, but I haven't had it running much either, as I don't want to open the doors to air it out.

Doesn't look good for any data logging this week as the temps don't look great, but hopefully soon!!!

Thanks,
    Ray
    Last edited by Raymo86; 01-25-2022 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo86 View Post
    stock 350 with TBI heads, RV cam is the only change.
    The term RV cam means different things to different folks these days, and for all intent and purposes can be a very large range.
    I still crack up every time some one says they have a "3/4 race cam", what is that? LOL
    The massive range of camshaft designs in lift and duration, rocket ratios, cam timing offset, etc. make the term "RV cam" obsolete for all intent and purpose when it comes to tuning efi engines.
    Just a odd thought that came to mind re-reading this post.
    Have a great week. It will be wet, then wet in cold in our neighborhood this week.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending