Thread: 0411 running a 2.5L Jeep engine.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    only insight i have is if your running "every other" injector from the firing order, set the fueling to 1 bank. Kinda what we do on single turbo setups. It makes global changes to trims instead of bank to bank.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
    only insight i have is if your running "every other" injector from the firing order, set the fueling to 1 bank. Kinda what we do on single turbo setups. It makes global changes to trims instead of bank to bank.
    Sounds interesting. So this would only need 1 O2 sensor?

Fuel Injected!
    I had the opportunity The last couple of days to make a little progress. I got the crank reluctor mounted and I think I've got the "0" position figured out.

Here's some pics of the reluctor and crank position sensor.
    As soon as I can get the engine back in the Jeep I'll start running wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    That looks like a good start.

I have hopes and plans for a 4.0 Jeep using an OBDI GM controller, DIS, and a 2000+ block. I have tried obtaining a flywheel with an unmachined reluctor ring but have had no luck. Other thoughts are to put small steel blocks into the notches in the reluctor ring or to attempt to machine a new reluctor ring. What you're doing will likely be much faster.

If you're going to switch to bank injection on a single exhaust system there's no need for dual primary O2 sensors. If you don't need to monitor cat performance there's no need for a downstream O2 sensor. If you're disabling the MAF sensor and not using an E type GM transmission then much of the OBDII functionality will be unnecessary. This could be an interesting learning experience.

I will say that an OBDI ECM using four cylinder code might require fewer adjustments but it will require new software and hardware.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm going to be using the cam sensor from a 2004 4.0L engine. It's a drop in part and gives a 1x signal.

2231-01147340-1092123.jpg

I'm currently running a 4.0L in a 1988 Comanche on a P59.
    I pulled it from a 2004 astro van that had a 4.3L V6.
    I machined a 3x reluctor from a old skid pan. It runs pretty good for a 300K + engine.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    That looks like a good start.

I have hopes and plans for a 4.0 Jeep using an OBDI GM controller, DIS, and a 2000+ block. I have tried obtaining a flywheel with an unmachined reluctor ring but have had no luck. Other thoughts are to put small steel blocks into the notches in the reluctor ring or to attempt to machine a new reluctor ring. What you're doing will likely be much faster.

If you're going to switch to bank injection on a single exhaust system there's no need for dual primary O2 sensors. If you don't need to monitor cat performance there's no need for a downstream O2 sensor. If you're disabling the MAF sensor and not using an E type GM transmission then much of the OBDII functionality will be unnecessary. This could be an interesting learning experience.

I will say that an OBDI ECM using four cylinder code might require fewer adjustments but it will require new software and hardware.
    Here's a link to that thread.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ht=Jeep+engine

Fuel Injected!
    I fired it up today. It sounds really good. It started pretty easy once I got every thing hooked up.
    It's idling at about 1100 RPM but I expected it to be a little off from all the different sensors I'm using. I'm guessing at the RPM, I haven't hooked up the tach yet.
    I have to run the OBD2 port wires so I can read the DTCs to see how it likes running on 4 coils and 4 injectors. And I've still got to hook up the exhaust, so it's loud. LOL

It went from this.
    2.5l jeep1 resized.jpg

To this.
    2.5l jeep resized.jpg

Administrator
    Well done! The computer really doesn't care about what's it's running. As long as you are supplying signals that work with the hardware the ecm will do its best to run the program and produce an output. FWIW when I had my '95 2.5 I moved the crank sensor about 3 deg advanced which allowed me to drive at 70 on the highway with wide 30's and a hardtop. As far as I could tell Chrysler had done a good job overall with their timing curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorwon View Post
    I fired it up today. It sounds really good. It started pretty easy once I got every thing hooked up.
    It's idling at about 1100 RPM but I expected it to be a little off from all the different sensors I'm using. I'm guessing at the RPM, I haven't hooked up the tach yet.
    I have to run the OBD2 port wires so I can read the DTCs to see how it likes running on 4 coils and 4 injectors. And I've still got to hook up the exhaust, so it's loud. LOL

It went from this.
    2.5l jeep1 resized.jpg

To this.
    2.5l jeep resized.jpg
    Congratulations