Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $61 1228746 ???

$61 1228746 ???

I did a tune for a guy in $61 for a 350 L05 and manual trans based off the anlu. Im having him back out B10 because I think this is giving him a high idle. The a/c off idle speed is set at 550 rpm. I dont see that this code has a idle speed vs coolant temp or a hack found for a p/n adder. His rpm is from 1000 to 1200 so Im thinking its just a case of making sure the wire in the ecm b10 is not grounded. He is also getting a code 24 in park even so Im thinking he has a bad ecm as well.

Just heard back from him nothing in B10, so Im thinking bad ecm

heres the .bin
    Attached Files Attached Files

I spent ~3 years tuning my L03 firebird with the $61 code 8746 ecm so I'll take a look at it and see. I also have a bin that I read from the original prom in my ecm. It was a factory 5-speed car that someone had thrown a 700r4 in sometime before I bought it. The car ran fine with the original prom still installed save for the fact that it had no TCC lockup. I'll d/l your bin and take a look and also post my bin for you to compare.

Thanks, I am having him check his p/s input and the a/c request to see if those are causing a add in idle speed . Im thinking its a bad ecm with the code 24 even in park it will throw affecting the idle speed. He just converted from the $4d 1228063 to the a use 8746 and eprom I sent him.

I took a quick look at your bin and compared it to 2 stock L03 bins out of my firebirds and didn't really see any differences of significance in any of the idle tables. I always had a slightly high idle with my ecu no matter what I did, but it was nowhere near that high. I had 2 virtually identical firebirds and swapped the ecms and throttle bodies between the two for other reasons and the idle issue stayed with the ecm. I recently determined that most likely that ecm was bad due to several odd issues. I don't know what tuning program you use and what definition file, but I will post my xdf for tunerpro that was the best I could find and was written by Jon Prevost. I'll also attach the original bins from both vehicles APTY was for a manual L03 and ANTT was an auto L03. Those will at least give you something to compare to. The code 24 is quite odd and piques my interest too. What kind of vehicle and modifications do the engine/vehicle have ? Most likely it is a bad ecm, but my advice is to convince this guy to go with an upgraded ecm. I never realized just how much better the overall driveability would improve with just an upgrade to a better ecm (16197427). Anyhow HTH,
    Phil
    Attached Files Attached Files

I used the same definition and started with a anlu and did a compare to a to a manual trans .bin and just changed everything related to tcc. really not necessary but I was doing what he asked me todo. The target is at 550 so nothing more I can do Its not like $42 or its not been hacked target idle rpm vs coolant temp. I feel bad I sold him a untested ecm I don't use tbi and sold him a anhu and a modified to manual trans memcal in holder. I can get another ecm know good for $35 shipped to him so I think thats my best way to resolve this. I didn't charge him much $80 for the ecm and 2 eproms shipped but I don't want too mess anyone over for a buck. Thanks again for the help.

There is a table called IAC steps vs. coolant temp, but I agree that the ecm is probably junk

Need to see data and how many IAC counts during this high idle as well. If spark is way advanced it will idle high. throttle blades open to far will idle high, vacuum leak will idle high or surge.

Is VSS hooked up with DRAC, wonder if DRAC is same from that ECM to one he swapped from? Wondering about the 24 error code?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

he has no way to data log yet but might be buying a cable. Im getting him another ecm for $35 He has a vss buffer feeding the signal from the vss buffer this is in a 88 firebird. the idle speed of the calibration in his 1228063 he told me it was at 750 rpm. Im beginning to think something with the ecm causing the idle speed to be so high well see with the new ecm.

Well, this is definietly an area that I have plenty of experience in as my current car is an '89 firebird and I have owned several 3rd gen f-body cars. Some questions that may help you at least are where the engine came from and is the tranny original to the car. The f-body cars never came with an L05 so I know it came out of something else. If the trans came out of something else, then there may be a compatibility issue between the VSS and the buffer. My point here is than this might be an issue that is totally unrelated to you. I am not familiar with the 1228063 ecm, however. IIRC the 1228746 was a direct replacement for it though, correct ? My only other thought was the pinouts for the 746 and 063 ecm's and wether they were the exact same. Data logs on the 746 will only give you limited info unfortunately. You will be able to see some of the critical info relating to idle speed, but there is very little info that you can see with any of the .adl files that I could find.
    Last edited by pmkls1; 08-05-2012 at 06:50 PM.

the reason for ecm change was for better code and for the L05 swap, He had a machine shop do the engine work and can give very little detail on the engine other than its a real mild build /cam . For all the information I have read the 063 was a one year odd ball ecm and I have read people swapping to the 746 no repining. I cant seem to find the pinout for the 063 to verify the vss input pin. He bought the car with a t5 so who knows what year that is from. even if it had the wrong vss 4k from a 90-92 tpi to a buffer his speedometer would be way too fast. Im not thinking it the old ecm with l03 worked with no error but hes wanting a better tune and was going to start too datalog in the near future to see if he needs any more refining on the anlu.bin I sent him. Still waiting on a guy to reply on tgo for me to get him another ecm and go from there. I appreciate all the input and help.

The guy hasnt got back to me on getting a replacement ecm yet. I just got some more information from rbob on tgo. This was on another post that a kid is having a code 24 on his tpi 165 ecm not moving. maybe a vacuum leak or iac issue.

It can happen due to the way the malfunction test for the VSS works. It is tricky to figure out if the vehicle could be moving or not. The test basically uses LV8 or MAP along with RPM to decide whether the vehicle is in motion.

If the ECM thinks that the vehicle is moving, whether it is or not, and no VSS signal it sets the code for it.
    Last edited by Tunedperformance; 08-09-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Sounds like it will set if MAP is to low, like with a cam. Even though no VSS reading, MAP says under load. If it is there should be a way to change the test to lower MAP. We had simalar issues with code 32 EGR test, when test was preformed it was not within set paremeters.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

he had messaged me this morning and found a vacuum leak with the gasket under the tb. He has also just replaced the iac and was going on vacation and said he will let me know whats going on when he comes back and sets the iac min speed. always leaning more ;)