Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
I think it comes down to the suction side. Every high pressure pump I've ever seen had the return ported back into the pump inlet. The difference is pressurized or gravity supply. There's always fluid at the inlet. If the tank had a bung in the bottom, I think it would be okay.

Cavitation will kill it in short order for sure. Also, I think I'd rather pay more for a low pressure pump than try to make do with the excess volume, and probable noise, of a higher output model.

My primary goals here are reliability and economy. It's getting single exhaust. Totally stock Suburban engine, zero illusions of high performance.

Also not changing the location of the tank. I know it's popular, but I wouldn't have a filler in the bed even if there was room underneath for a fuel tank.
I've never seen a return line plumbed back into a fuel pump inlet. Every vehicle I've worked on, or looked at, and it's many, many vehicles, has the return line back into the tank itself, so there is little to no restriction on the return line, allowing the bypass regulator to perform it's job easily.