Thread: P59 OS question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Disabling torque management is beyond dumb, I wish people would stop suggesting it, and is a great way to destroy a 4L60E quickly.
    You'd be correct.. if I was using a 4l60. The swap is going in a 71 Nova with a 4 speed Muncie. So I'd much rather not have torque management. Thanks for your reply though I guess.

Fuel Injected!
    glad to help.

FWIW, i have had good results with manual/non electronic auto swaps by using the stock automatic tune and disabling all the transmission diagnostics and torque management. i would also bump the idle speeds up some, say 800 rpm

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcratchet555 View Post
    glad to help.

FWIW, i have had good results with manual/non electronic auto swaps by using the stock automatic tune and disabling all the transmission diagnostics and torque management. i would also bump the idle speeds up some, say 800 rpm
    I'll go in, and bump the idle up a little bit, thanks for the tip!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMainer View Post
    You'd be correct.. if I was using a 4l60. The swap is going in a 71 Nova with a 4 speed Muncie. So I'd much rather not have torque management. Thanks for your reply though I guess.
    In that case you would want a manual trans engine tune to start. I would start with a 5.7L Manual calibration for a GTO or CTSV and copy the 5.3L engine settings into it.

When you said you harvested the engine from a donor vehicle, I assumed the transmission too.

There are some tuning guides that tell people to disable torque management and with a 4L60E it is one of the quickest ways to shred that transmissions. I did not want to see you blow one up following bad advice.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    In that case you would want a manual trans engine tune to start. I would start with a 5.7L Manual calibration for a GTO or CTSV and copy the 5.3L engine settings into it.

When you said you harvested the engine from a donor vehicle, I assumed the transmission too.

There are some tuning guides that tell people to disable torque management and with a 4L60E it is one of the quickest ways to shred that transmissions. I did not want to see you blow one up following bad advice.
    If I wind up having trouble with trying to run the stock tune I'll look into a tune that has a manual. I disabled everything to do with running checks for the transmission anyway. I have a pulse generator I'm going to bolt to the M20 so the pcm sees a signal of some sort so it doesn't stall when I let off the throttle while cruising.