Thread: Running poorly/misfiring, code 33

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can pick up a vac gauge and hook it up this weekend.

However, any idea why I can not get any map sensor reading on the datastream?
    I have bench tested many ecu's in the past and used a hand operated vac pump on the map sensor and saw it on the datastream.
    I am just confused as to why I am not seeing it now.
    It is acting like either a broke wire between the sensor and the ecu, or it is not getting power. However I have tested both and they both appear to be good.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Well first I'd do a sanity check. While the car is running and you're connected to the ECM and datalogging, unplug the MAP sensor.

What happens?
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

It will not stay running on its own right now. I have to keep it running by feathering the throttle. If I let off, it stalls within a second or two. Not enough time to get to the sensor and unplug it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

That was one of the early things I did with no change.
    I also tried another spare ecm I had with no change.

When I pick up a vac gauge this weekend, I'm gonna try and get some back probes and test the map sensor pins with the sensor plugged in.

Well the parts store did not have a vac gauge or back probes.
    However I feel like the issue is electrical and not mechanical, seeing as how it was intermittent at first. I may end up ordering a vac gauge online just to have one.

I did raid my wife's sewing kit for a needle and used that as a back probe.
    I ended up not having anywhere near as much time this weekend as I thought I was going to have.
    With the sensor plugged up and the ignition on (engine not running), I have 5v at the power wire, and have 4.88v on the sensor out. The voltage drops as I apply vac to the sensor.
    I then go to the ecu and check the pin there. I have the same voltage readings (ignition on, engine off).
    So it would appear it is making it to the ecu. However I did not have the laptop hooked up.
    I took loose the distributor and gave it about one degree of a turn just to see what would happen.
    I got it to fire off and run. Still ran like crap and missfired like crazy, but after about 30-60 seconds, I got it to idle on its own (still running poorly).
    While it was running, I was feeling around the wiring and just looking things over and it suddenly stumbled badly and died.

I am starting to think I have a bad wire, that is somehow testing good, but for some reason is not getting the signal to the ecu. Or is showing good when I test it, but is not when the engine is running (for some reason)

I have some spare pigtails and terminals for the weatherpack connector for the map sensor, but I do not have any spare pins or pigtails for the ecu connectors. I do not really want to cut the wire close to the ecu to run a new wire, only to find it is that that wire. I need to find some pins and make a temporary new wire from the map signal to the ecu and test it.