After messing around with it and driving it around the yard a few weeks ago (my last post) I only just had some time today to fiddle with it.
I started it and it was a little reluctant to start, like the timing is a little too advanced (most likely is). But it starts and runs for the most part ok. I let it set there and run for a little bit and warm up.
I then install a inline spark tester on the #1 plug and disconnect the timing bypass. I just wanted to make sure that it was still sparking, since it refuses to start on base timing.
It is sparking, but will not start.

So it is flooding itself out with the bypass disconnected, like almost instantly. I crank it for a few seconds to try and start it (I do not touch the gas pedal) but it will not even hit once. I then can smell gas.
I disconnect the battery to clear it out, then have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to go into clear flood mode and get it to start. It sputters to life and you can smell the super rich exhaust while it burns it out.

I try disconnecting the alternator like the suggested above and it made no difference, (both with and without the bypass wire disconnected).

I drive it around the yard again and it seems to run ok, but I know it is not right as I can not get the base timing set, and it is still running 11.5-12.5 AFR according to the wideband. I am not going to drive it on the road until it is right.

I do not know why it will not run on base timing and why it is running rich, I am totally at my wits end and have nothing else left to try.