Thread: Need help connecting TunerproRT to 91 firebird 5.0L auto

Electronic Ignition!

Need help connecting TunerproRT to 91 firebird 5.0L auto

Laptop & cable connect fine to my 91 GMC truck with appropriate bin & adx, but hangs at DA Connecting on my 91 firebird using "AWFU 91 F-car 5.0 TPI 700r4.bin" & trying both "$8D-1227730-V1.1.adx" and "1227730_8D.adx". Both just hang. I find others saying it is probably a mismatch in response packet size, but not sure how to investigate or fix.

Doesn't TPI ECMs require the 10K Ohm resistor across pins A and B?

Fuel Injected!
    Not if they're using the 8192 baud ALDL they don't. For example, my 90 Corvette is TPI and does not require the resistor. All depends on the ECM.

EDIT: Looking it up, the 1227730 is pretty much identical to the 1227727 from the Corvette, so no, I highly doubt he needs the resistor for that ECM.
    Last edited by NomakeWan; 07-17-2023 at 11:59 PM.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by piperclipper View Post
    Laptop & cable connect fine to my 91 GMC truck with appropriate bin & adx, but hangs at DA Connecting on my 91 firebird using "AWFU 91 F-car 5.0 TPI 700r4.bin" & trying both "$8D-1227730-V1.1.adx" and "1227730_8D.adx". Both just hang. I find others saying it is probably a mismatch in response packet size, but not sure how to investigate or fix.
    Added a 15ms pause at end of connect macro (following a post by @RobertISaar) in @JeepsAndGuns $8D-1227730-V1.1.adx. Somewhat encouraging as it now connects but immediately reports data errors and cycles between the two. Thoughts? There are a number of old posts with problems connecting to 7730 ecms. Anybody presently using a 7730 adx that connects properly?

Fuel Injected!
    Have you tried a 7727 ADX? The only real difference between the two is that a Corvette has a CCM that needs to be silenced, while a 7730-based car won't have a CCM. But that silence code in the ADX should just do nothing if you use it to connect to a 7730.

Give it a shot.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    I have yet to connect with TunerPro RT on my '90 C4 but I don't play with it very much. I'd be curious if the Firebird would employ a CCM whereas a Camaro wouldn't with the my line of reasoning (but could mean nothing) certain years between the 2 I seem to recall 1 w electronic speedo and the other cable driven. If for some reason any of this holds water, I know one of the workarounds is to make sure the engine is already running before you start datalogging as a start/restart of the engine would reset the CCM chattering. BTW...I've had luck with ALDLdroid. I believe you can still download an ADX from John's site and see if it would work with TPRT.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    I have yet to connect with TunerPro RT on my '90 C4 but I don't play with it very much. I'd be curious if the Firebird would employ a CCM whereas a Camaro wouldn't with the my line of reasoning (but could mean nothing) certain years between the 2 I seem to recall 1 w electronic speedo and the other cable driven. If for some reason any of this holds water, I know one of the workarounds is to make sure the engine is already running before you start datalogging as a start/restart of the engine would reset the CCM chattering. BTW...I've had luck with ALDLdroid. I believe you can still download an ADX from John's site and see if it would work with TPRT.
    If a CCM is present it will always be chattering. It is the bus master. Your ADX must have the proper handshake routine present in order to tell the CCM that you want to become the bus master, or your datalogger will simply be ignored. Doesn't matter if the engine is already running or not.

However, as far as I am aware none of the F-body vehicles ever had any CCM or BCM. The B-body may have had a BCM. Electronic speedo can be handled without a CCM, so the presence of an electronic speedo does not necessarily indicate the presence of a CCM.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)