Thread: Alternatives?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Left the market to focus on family. A company called BoostedNW is now selling stuff like what they used to sell, including a replacement for the Ostrich. They're where I got the MEMCAL adapter for my '90.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Does a datalog device exist that converts an ALDL plug to thumb drive? Driving around with a cord stretched across to a laptop in the passenger seat is kind of a PITA.

Fuel Injected!
    It exists as a DIY device: http://www.pfautsch.com/?page_id=1486
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    It exists as a DIY device: http://www.pfautsch.com/?page_id=1486
    Yeah,uh,no. Looks like a cluster f*ck

Administrator
    Years ago in dealer land you would grab the GM supplied tape recorder and special cable and drive around recording ALDL data. It would seem like a modern version which can write to a thumb drive is possible.

Sometimes it's tough to identify a particular incident with this type of recording. Lets say your vehicle was behaving well, except for that one time you accelerated to get out into traffic quickly. If you're not able to note the time or some other identifying feature, how do you know where to go to in the recorded data to see what happened? I would think combining ALDL adapter and Bluetooth would be the way to go. The laptop can be configured to display a "histograph" of data assisting with visual recognition of an incident when it happens, and it records timestamps to help reference events.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114869457343

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwrench View Post
    Does a datalog device exist that converts an ALDL plug to thumb drive? Driving around with a cord stretched across to a laptop in the passenger seat is kind of a PITA.
    The software (tuner pro RT, etc) is what does the recording, hence needing the cable connected to pc and datalogging/recording while driving

Now a bluetooth one is a possibility now days, but that still doesn't eliminate the laptop
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    The software (tuner pro RT, etc) is what does the recording, hence needing the cable connected to pc and datalogging/recording while driving

Now a bluetooth one is a possibility now days, but that still doesn't eliminate the laptop
    Yeah,I'll deal with it. It's not that bad. I run the cable up over the steering column so it's not under my feet. If for some reason I'm ever doing any rewiring behind the dash I'll move the ALDL over to the right side.