Thread: Mike from AZ

Carb and Points!

Mike from AZ

I am retired now, but worked all my life. Been into cars since I was old enough to look at the JC Whitney catalog. Built many cars since I was an early teen (now 65) and raced, both drag and dirt track. All of my builds, at least in the most recent years, were all carbureted BBC - 496, 498, 540. . . . . After selling my last build - a 496/4 spd 68 Chevelle SS - I picked up a 38 Chev Coupe (37 nose) with a lot of mechanical issues, but great body and paint - House of Kolor Brandywine Candy Metallic. It has a low mile 94 LT1/4L60e out of Caddy, which has been my first EFI project. In the past couple of months, picked up a Tuner Cat setup and started learning the software and tuning configuration. BTW, I use DataMaster infrequently as my logging software. Although there was an aftermarket tune done, very little was changed and there were a number of problems, like not accounting for the Ford 24# injectors, stock timing and fueling, etc, etc. Joined the forum to learn more about EFI tuning. ~Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

from the west valley of AZ! Cool ride!

Carb and Points!
    How are you doing brother? We're up in Heber. Still building my ride and getting the shop in order. Are you in Tonopah?

Well, not in Tonopah, a few miles East of the great Metropolis but, my address still say Tonopah. Heber's a nice area and a lot cooler. do you come South for the winter?

Carb and Points!
    No, we're full-timers on the mountain.

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum. Love that color! You're in the right area for LT1 help. There are some very talented folks here that have plenty of experience with that engine and pcm.
    Universal Patcher were created by folks who read these forums
    Which 24# Ford injectors are installed on the engine? Ford used to be pretty good about supplying the correction numbers although in some cases it took some math to go from Ford values to GM values.

You might want to look into some of the tools used here for programming and scanning. Nothing wrong with TC and Datamaster. EEHack and Universal Patcher were created by folks who read these forums.

Carb and Points!
    The Ford injectors are from the mid-90s, F2LE-B2A. It was tough finding any tuning information about them, and what I did find never matched up. On an older EECTuning forum, I did find the offsets that were apparently from a Ford ECU. They have seemed to work the best so far. I also received some basic offset data from FIC, but it didn't seem to work as well. The aftermarket tuner (before I owned the 38) did virtually nothing to deviate from the stock 94 Caddy tune, except to engage Speed Density Mode. All other settings/tables were identical.

I started with TC/Datamaster, but have recently downloaded TunerPro/EEHack and have begun experimenting with them. Unfamiliar with Univ Patcher.

Although the tune is greatly improved (responsiveness/seat of the pants), the ECU is still formatted as EEB. Attached pic of ECU

Thanks! Glad to be here with so many knowledgeable people. All my prior street/racing builds have been carb/distributor setups. Although a lot of years building/tuning, this is my first ECU managed tune. So far, its been a blast learning everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images