Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCC- Operation for $8D

TCC- Operation for $8D

I am having the hardest time getting my TCC to function correctly. $8D has one flag, five scalars and four tables to control its function. They all seem to be very straight forward in their function. However, when I make changes, nothing seems to react the way I expected. So I will start with the flag. It is titled TCC control, (x=RPM else MPH). It is not checked. I assume that the control is based of speed settings in either the scalars or tables. There is some confusion with the correlation of the flag to the tables. The four tables are for low and high gears lock and unlock speeds versus TPS%. And the scalars are low and high gear lock and unlock speeds. What is confusing in the tables is that they are related to TPS%, not RPM. One can assume TPS% and RPM are directly related, but when I make changes, nothing happens. My first question is if I have the flag unchecked, do these tables do anything? And if not, then shouldn’t my TCC follow the four scalar values? Those valves are the speeds the TCC is locked and then unlocked depending upon if in high gear or not. The changes I made to the scalars are not working either. The last scalar is TCC enable temperature. That is set below the operating temperature I have been running at, so assume that has no bearing on my problems. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

They are hard to figure sometimes do to titles of the parameters. Like low gears is only third and high gears is only 4th/OD. Then the TCC will lock up at the MPH indicated if TPS% is under what is next to it. Or unlock at MPH indicated if TPS% is over what is next to it. But those two tables have settings lower then what the Scaler allows in the bin I'm looking at?

If the speedometer reading is accurate? Gear and tire change play havoc on these settings...

I've found them close in most aplications... if the TV cable is adjusted correctly.
    http://news.compperformance.com/Inst...ble_adjust.pdf

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I am running the stock tires and I did adjust the TV cable as specified in the GM service manual which is the same as the link you gave me. Thanks for that. The transmission shifts correctly. What I found is that with the larger throttle body, the TPS% is usually very low at cruise speeds. So I don't get lockup until higher speeds. I am trying to get it to lock up sooner because of that. Ignoring the scalars for now, I see the lock TPS% are less than the unlock TPS% for any given speed in the table. At 28mph the lock is 8.98% and the unlock is 19.92%. So what I assumed is if I am going 28 MPH the TCC will lock when the throttle is between 8.98% and 19.92%. But that is not how it is working. What I see in scan data is that the TCC lockup is also a function of the transition from lock to unlock to lock. At any given speed, once in lockup, the TTC remains locked below the TCC lock value. You don’t unlock until 1 or 2% dependent upon speed. If you are in lockup and accelerate, pushing the TPS% past the unlock value then it unlocks. Once unlocked after an acceleration unlock, you have to meet the TCC lock speed and TPS%. This is the same for acceleration from a stop. If the TCC unlocks due to a closed TPS, say letting your foot off the pedal to coast for a second, then it will lock backup at what appears to be random TPS% that are sometimes much lower than the lock TPS% from the table. It acts like it was in pause and is now resuming play once it sees the TPS% increasing. I think after writing this, graphing the table data and analyzing the scan data. I have a good enough understanding to get it to work the way I want it to. Hopefully sharing my lesson for the next guy will save the next guy some hair!
    Last edited by zaut; 09-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.

I still think it's the way the XDF is titled. If you hit 28 MPH and setting is 8.98% it will lock at 28 MPH if TPS% is less then 8.98%. There is also possibilitiy there is not a paremeter for Decel or DFCO which I have seen on others to keep TCC locked during...

What XDF are you using? Have you looked at the one JeepsandGuns just worked on? He combined a bunch and checked with the commented dissasembly.

-= =-

Thanks for the pointer about the DCFO. There are four FCO scalars and flag for TCC lock during DFCO. I think after reviewing the data that the point i made about letting the foot off the gas is related to the DCFO. Although when I see those unlocks, the scan still shows a injector pulse length. I will try setting the flag and seeing if that is why the unlock occurs. I am using the $8d.XDF for this web site. I am not running the super program since I designed the engine to not run over 5600 RPM. TPI induction is limited above that RPM range, so the cam I choose is only good to 5600 RPM. Is JeepsandGuns XDF for the super 8D or the one I am using?

Its for regular $8D.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

JeepsandGuns, Excellant work. I will download the ADX file and give it a try. BTW, what is DE? Its not ringing a bell at this time.

I don't find $8D-1227730-V1.adx. I found 12277730_8D. I assume that is a differant file. Can you give me the correct file?

Do you have the ADX to go with that? I lost a lot of recent stuff with my laptop crash that was not saved here...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by zaut View Post
    BTW, what is DE? Its not ringing a bell at this time.
    Deceleration Enleanment, when you let off of the pedal slightly, this parameter will help to lean things out slowly before, or without going into DFCO.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Thanks Gregs78cam.

You should be able to hold the mouse over the parameter titles and it say what it is. Even the dividers on most of them I added what they ment.
    I have the adx too, I'm still not completely done with it, but its fully useable. Mark also helped with this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

JeepsAndGuns, I was reading some comments in the XDF file and I tought you mentioned that you had some of the data tracing already setup. I now have both of your file loaded and I am not getting any data tracing to work. At least in the main spark table. Do I need to do something to get it working. I know how to set up the tables one at a time. Please let me know if there something else I need to do to get what you already setup to work. Thanks

If the associations are set in each parameter in XDF and value in ADX then click the Data Trace Icon or Acquisition Toggle Data Trace while connected.

-= =-

I know how to do the associations, I thought I read in the comments in the XDf file that those were already complete. Now that I checked, the couple tables I looked at have none setup.