Thread: It's been a LONG time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    At $1300 for the pair I don't think they are inexpensive. A friend "gave" me a pair of Vortec heads that should serve me just fine. There's a lot of intake choices out there. If I 'ever' get done with this sprinkler system repair (sceptic tank installers cut all three lines feeding the front yard), then covered everything up and left it. That was before I purchased the house and didn't know what happened for a while. What with all the vehicle repairs, maintenance, and moving in (looking for everything) I haven't had time to think about sprinklers until now. Thanks for the reply and the thoughts.
    I am leaning towards getting another 307 crank and making the 350 into a 327.

Administrator
    1project, how many Jasper engines have you dealt with?
    Probably 8-10 over a 20 year period. Not a huge number by any means.

Fuel Injected!
    Do you know if Jasper would/will build a semi custom engine? That is, use the 350 block, with Vortec heads and a 307 crank.

Administrator
    I am not sure about having a custom engine built. They have a page that talks about "Custom Engines" but it seems to be about having an original engine rebuilt just like it was new, and about getting the rebuilder documentation with it.

I tried looking up a 327 using a few different OEM vehicles. They show the engines but there's no prices so I imagine they have trouble getting cores. A 1970 2bbl 350 "basic" engine is tickling $3000 before shipping. You'd get $520 back when you send back a good core but that's still a bunch to have up front.

They do offer some performance packages. There's a 300 hp 350 with Vortec heads that looks like it might be good. I'm having trouble figuring out how to find a price so I'd probably have to call in for one. I believe they only sell to dealers in their network so you'd want to be close to one.

Thinking about this, I realized that Jasper is based in Indiana. Wouldn't it be cheaper in terms of shipping to find a rebuilder that is closer? When I lived in MT we would use S&S Engines. It looks like they've merged with another company and are going by S&J engines these days. Maybe this company is an option?

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply. Some very useful information here. There is a rebuilder out of Dallas/Fort Worth area that advertises around $2K for a rebuild (of my 307). Should be the same for a 350. I believe I'll be looking into that. Since the mechanic (business owner) who suggested Jasper has not called back in several weeks, I guess he forgot about it or ????
    Thanks for the thoughts on this.