With Moates being closed, I can't go ask over there. I'm hoping someone here knows or remembers. What functions are still used from the factory memcal when using the G1? In going back through everything from when I started with the 7427, the ECU that I purchased had a 4.3 Auto memcal in it. I just used that memcal when I installed the G1. I remember something about limp mode and spark retard coming from the memcal. However, since my 87 7.4 doesn't have an ESC box, I *thought* I read that it would not use the memcal spark retard and that it would just use spark from the tune.

Now I could be totally wrong with all of that. And I'm wondering if having a 4.3 factory memcal is what is causing some of my funky tune and driveability issues? I'd slap a 7.4 memcal in there, but vendors think those things are gold and they are going for $250-350 on Ebay just for the memcal. There is a full 7427 ECU with BHDC memcal (7.4/manual - this matches my truck and the base tune that I used) available. I'm wondering if it is worth the $200 they are asking just to get the memcal and have a spare ECU?

Or do I just need ANY V8 memcal? 5.7/auto memcals are $20-30 which would be a no-brainer to grab one if that is all I need.