It really sounds like you love your Jeep and it seems like an extremely capable rig. I have gifted a 95 square eye to my son and it appears we are building a street Jeep. A good Jeep build would be fun, but he's decided since this YJ has every option available from AMC it doesn't make sense to strip it.

AMC axles... one of my first jobs as a young mechanic was working in a shop that specialized in axles and manual transmissions. I was told to remove a wheel flange that had spun on the axle. Man, those guys really enjoyed watching FNG try to figure out how to do that. Boss saved me... lots of heat. We're installing new axles.

Even though costs are not a major issue, I don't like to intentionally obsolete components until they age a bit...
Soooo, the current tank will stick around for another decade or so.
Fair enough. I did not throw out the OE tank in my '57 pickup just because it was not designed with FI in mind. I modified it to accept an EFI pump that sits less than 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. But after spending 23 years having to add fuel whenever the fuel level dropped below 1/2 tank, I can say that some battles do not need to be fought. When the brass float failed due to E10 corrosion a few summers ago, I spent time designing and intalling a set of baffles that acts like a cup around the pump pickup to reduce fuel starvation. It's much better now.

Some of the '80s and '90s marine applications addressed this issue a little differently. These applications used the engine mechanical pump to fill a reservoir. The reservoir used a float to restrict fuel when full, and they contained an electric pump that circulated fuel to the engine. Any unused fuel was returned to the reservoir. I used one of these systems to convert a '67 Chevelle to EFI and it seemed to work well. I had concern the fuel in the reservoir might get too warm on long trips but it was good here in the northeast for trips up to 2.5 hours. This might do the same thing?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166609517501

HTH.