Thread: I think I finally made it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippperguy View Post
    Thanks again, guys.
    I hadn't given serious consideration to fuel starvation...
    When it comes time to retrofit the Walbro pump to my tank, I'll see what sort of baffle/pan I can fit through the tank opening. I have a full machine shop at my disposal, and I can fabricate just about anything.

I occasionally buy wrecked vehicles to rebuild and sell. I've done quite a few Jeep TJ's, had to drop a couple gas tanks to rework other stuff, even replaced a couple fuel pumps on TJ's, but I never peeked inside the tank!!
    More knowledge is such a dangerous thing.
    For retrofits, hard to dismiss Holleys excellent Hydramat product. Had I not looked at a Dorman tank that had a massive baffled area added to it for the G-vans, I would have used a Hydramat for it. Would have been cheaper than a new tank, but just barely, but the tanks for those vans are dirt cheap.

The hydramat material works like a sponge, holding fuel inside of it for the pump to pickup. I used it on a carbureted tank on an EFI conversion and it lets the engine run until the tank is bone dry. In some conversions where tanks are $$$ or not available with baffling, the hydramat is an excellent alternative to tank modifications. The one I used looked like a fuel sock with a 3/8 NPT fitting. 3/8 NPT to 3/8" hose barb and adapted to the 3/8" fuel tube with a piece of hose rated for immersion.

When the hydramat stops pulling fuel when it is sitting on the bottom of the tank, you are out of fuel.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-20-2024 at 07:59 PM.