Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: hiway lean cruise

Fuel Injected!
    thanks eagle mark, i have a pretty good timming table i took 0.5 of i will try it out this afternoon.

Fuel Injected!
    eagle mark, i think that the engine that is in my truck has some un finish sharp point on the cylender heads, causing the knock to go up when i changed the thermostat from 180 to 195. i seen this before but it was 40 years ago when i worked with my brothers on vw repair. we would smooyh things out then cc the heads with fluid to match all cylenders.i am not going to take my heads off as long as it is working, ihave a couple data logs the last one i change the thermostat back to 180 and raised the timming table jn the bin file it is from 1:00-3:00 data log time, where i live that is the best time of day to see knock counts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    i hit the wrong buttun agian, here is fair 2 look at the different timming table and thermosat temp,fair 2 goes with 6d data log, i really belive it is unfinished combustion chambers in my cylender heads is why i cant run 195 thermosatat with out knocks or reducing the timming to where i would be better off with a carb and points .

I think your not understanding how the knock counts work in this ECM. It's an accumulator. You need to watch frame by frame for rapid movement. Like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 in a cell, then it will stay at 9 for the rest of cells until it finds a knock and increase by say 10 to 19, then all cells will be 19.

Like 6F.xdl file, you had 16 counts before you went in for coffee and because you turned truck off picked up 10. Then started truck and back to 16 and didn't get anymore?

Looked at Fair 4, actually saw a few, very few knock counts at 2000 RPM in 60 MAP area, have to watch knock counter history table while playing back log slowly and see them frame by frame.

6D.xdl, same thing, looks like some knock at 2000 RPM 75 - 80 MAP. There is more here then other logs. I think a little less timing here and keeping a warmer T stat will produce better milage. Smooth your spark table in that area for more accurate results.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    i was just joking about carb an points, with a stock timming bin, 95 knocks it is acully deditnaton i have the ve 1 tuned pretty good, put the 180 thermostat in 23 knocks in the same try out run same wind as with the 195 thermostat i know it is detonaton not near the power for 23% throttle. this engine is a 94 or 95 4.3 , its not important to me the 180 thermo is fine , could proble add alittle timming, its just one of them things that it was made to work one way and it dont and i wonder why it dont? i set the map back to 65 kpa on the lean cruise it seams to work better with all the wind that we have right now. iam still running 87 octane and it works with a 180 thermo, maybe these 4.3 suck

I never saw 95 knock counts in the logs you posted? But 95 in an area would be a good sign, and you felt loss of power. Good call on lowering MAP, Lean Cruise does not produce power as Closed Loop (or OL Richer then Stoich) so if the vehicle is struggling for power with wind your better off without it. Seen that a few times on big tire 4x4, heavy rigs with to low a gear ratio.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    egale mark, I have been pitling I was wondering if you get to max map on the lean cruise does it still add hyway spark after you pass the max kpa. I set max map at 48 kpas I changed my map sensor to 2 different ones that I had from work in closed loop blms drop almost 10-14 across the scale, been retuning my chip to get the blms to 128 or close. I might have bought a bad map sensor 2 years ago, may explan why I cannot get as good of milage from the synchronized bin I have been pityling with vs asyn bin, have to remember worn out but still running

Fuel Injected!
    ps, the reason I was wondering about if the program went a head an add the hyway spark after it went back in closed loop is I lost all knock counts except at start up.

Max MAP for highway lean cruise will turn off fuel and spark. You'll never get in Lean Cruise at 48 MAP except maybe deceleration...

Try a fresh start to VE table VIA BLM readings. Turn off EGR, PE Hiway LC and DFCO. Pull power from ECM after warmed up in CL, then do a log with all driving. Adjust VE accordingly and turn stuff back on. If your adjusting VE with all that stuff on your off...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    [QUOTE=EagleMark;22391]Max MAP for highway lean cruise will turn off fuel and spark. You'll never get in Lean Cruise at 48 MAP except maybe deceleration...

QUOTE]

or traveling downhill LOL. start with 60kpa, iirc there is also a 5kpa hysterisis so it ends up 65kpa max MAP.
    '86 Grand National