Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6E MAF misfiring at particular MPH range?

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe all new vehicles are like that, but I couldn't believe the amount of wiring on the later Astro's either. A great donor for about 4' of 10+ strands of wiring that you don't even have to work to get at. With some time, would probably have 6' or more. I love having that stuff around, unfortunately GM decided they needed to have about 60 different combinations, so with my '7727 swap, I'm finding I don't have all the right colors. Plenty of wire, just can't match the colors.
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

I just picked up another one of these at a yard I have never been to. It looked identical to the one I pulled from that cadillac, but this one came from a 99 surburban. It differs from the caddy one in that the buttons on it say temp and comp, instead of comp and mirror like the caddy one. I also pulled the temp probe from the grille and it looks really simillar to the one in the first ebay link you posted. I measured the ohms on it and the ohms on the one from the saturn (like in your 2nd ebay link) and they both read the same. I hooked the mirror up and it will display either temperature or compass, just not both at the same time. I think I will put this one in my cherokee, and the newer one in my wrangler.

I also pulled a 3rd one from a 98 surburban, temp and compass work, but the auto dim does not. The little LED light does not light up. I pulled it apart and everything inside looked good. I took the cadillac one and removed the glass from it and installed it in this one, but still no luck. Anyone know if these things can be repaired? I know the glass part is good, as it worked before I swapped it. I figure its better just to toss it than try and fix it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    So the problem with this one is JUST the auto-dim? I haven't seen one of these in operation, so I'm a bit at a disadvantage here.

I think I mentioned in the wiring diagram post that there is conflicting information if certain wiring is required for auto-dim to work. I wonder if the different generations/types of mirrors have a bearing on whether they will work with or without the particular wiring?
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

The plugs on the back of them are the same, so are the wires and wire colors. I can apply power and ground to the working one and the little green LED will light up along with the display. The auto dim works, it dims if I cover the light sensors with my fingers, and lightens back when I uncover them. No other wire connections needed other than power and ground (and the temp probe too). The other one I hook up power and ground and the little green LED does not light up, and auto dim does not work. The display for temp and compass works fine though. So apparently the little LED is a indacator saying everything is ok if its lit, and not if its out? I tried grounding that one green wire like your one post said, but that did not work. No combanation of the buttons make it come on, and the led works, as I removed it and applied power to it. I tested the working one and its sending roughly 1.5 volts to the glass to dim it, tested the non working one and I am getting like 0.3 volts.
    Oh well, I'll save it for parts, I might run up on one someday that the glass or housing is broken.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Gotcha. I hate it when there is the conflicting information out there, I'm sure the folks aren't doing it to be malicious, but it makes one second guess what you see.

At least you tested it both ways, and you know it doesn't work. Are they easy to disassemble?

Yea, pretty easy. Just take a thin blade flahead screwdriver and gently pry the outer casing off. Then you can pull the mirror and circuit board out enough the unplug the compass wires, then you can pull it the rest of the way out.

Fuel Injected!
    Interesting. I will probably grab a couple more just in case I have similar issues as you!

Fuel Injected!
    Finally got to the wrecking yard today! And had as much time as I wanted. Well, as much time as I wanted to get drenched, but productive.

Got another Gentex mirror, the temp probe, a fair bit of wiring, and couple of Cadillac mini-fuse panels for $30.

Weird, even though both mirrors I have are 177's, they are different. One I picked up today has a much larger "base" where it attaches to the windshield button. I'm guessing later on they miniaturized the circuit cards and were able to make the base smaller. Has a small screw holding a cover plate on, I took it off to see what was in there. Link won't work forever, but here are two showing the difference. The larger portion is off to the passenger side of the mirror base (second link), as installed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENTEX-GNTX-...53f981&vxp=mtr vs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-177-D...feee38&vxp=mtr
    Most here are smarter than I, but apparently the Cadillacs of this vintage were using some sort of probe up by the radiator that is NOT part of the mirror assembly. I saw a fair number of mid-late 90's Cadillacs (some with multi-function mirrors, no temp though) and they all had a probe of some type up by the radiator. However the probe/connector do not interchange with those used on the mirrors with temp. Two wire, but the connector is designed slightly different, and is keyed such that you can't make it fit. I stumbled across a post that seemed to indicate that some vehicles used an external temp probe in conjunction with the climate control. Dunno if that's what I saw or not.

Either way, wired up both mirrors to the battery in my daughters powerwheels, and both work. Very happy about that!

Also saw another mirror that was "disassembled", but the guts were missing. I suspect internal failures aren't too uncommon if people are disassembling them.

Those mid 90s caddys were probably the same temp sesnor as my 94 RoadMaster. It does not go to mirroe but to climate control which will display temp as well, also has a blue dot in dashboard for sun sensor. Like these...

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/199...rature-sensor/

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The non working one I have looks like the one in the 2nd link. While the working one looks like the one in the first link. Not sure what the difference is between the two bases. The smaller base definately "looks" better.

Anyone have any clue how to remove the mounting tab from the glass without breaking it? I really dont want to buy a new windshield for my jeep. I have tried spraying it with carb cleaner and trying to work a thin razer blade under it with no luck.

Fuel Injected!
    I got the one off in the wrecking yard by just sticking a screwdriver against the glass and prying. Doubt you want to do that to good glass. :( MAYBE if you put a piece of steel that was fairly thick/large surface area under the screwdriver so it wasn't touching the windshield, but that would be last resort.

What about taking an air duster can and turning it upside down, freezing the tab? That or heat from a hair dryer. Those tabs fall off when you don't want them to, and stick when you want them off!

I bet the Cadillac temp sensors would work fine too, I should have grabbed one to test. The temp display changes quite quickly on those mirrors, pretty impressive.

Heat on outside and a little tugging/twisting of mirror inside. I got the idea about the third time my mirror fell off when I adjusted it while facing the sun in summer...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    The non working one I have looks like the one in the 2nd link. While the working one looks like the one in the first link. Not sure what the difference is between the two bases. The smaller base definately "looks" better.
    I looked closer at these. The one with the "small" base is actually larger on three sides, around the windshield mount. The "large" base one only bulges out on the one side.

Without disassembling the small base one (it uses a snap on cover, not screw on like the large) my assumption is that the circuit card on the large base is larger by a bit. That's what the wire coming from the mirror head to the base is on these mirrors. I initially thought it was all containted in the head, obviously not. Either the card is smaller on the small base one, or they got a bit more clever in packaging. The large base one had a cobweb over the circuit card, wonder if junk getting in there was a problem with them? I'm a bit leery of installing this in my truck until I can garage it most of the time, as the interior sweats something terrible, but who knows.

The base has the compass in it. Its just a round ring with some copper windings around it. Not sure as to why they changed the location of it. I did get one of mine installed into my Cherokee today. Its the one you have to push a button to switch between temp and compass. Got it all wired and working. Pretty sweet. Now I just need to install the other one in my YJ, gotta get the stock mount off it first.

Fuel Injected!
    Am I mistaken, or do some of the mirrors have a larger "window" for the temp/compass display? I need to look closely at some of the ebay auctions and see if I imagined that.