Thread: Synch vs Asynch fueling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Also makes it impossible to watch Injector Duty cycle?
    depends. if it's done entirely on the 80Hz loop, you know that 80 times per second, the BPW displayed is being injected.

if it can flip between 80Hz async and sync, then you'll have a really tough time dealing with it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

OK, but what about the mulitlier? it starts at .328 to 2.672 depending on RPM... I don't even want to think how to make a Injector Duty Cycle % gauge for that!

This whole Sync - Async thing started awhile back for me until I noticed it in Data, then realized Sync was so much easier and smoother. Then this summer I tuned a Jeep engine conversion and noticed the Async always? Swaped bins and viola! POOF! Good runner and easy tune. Since then he told another Jeep buddy with a TBI conversion and sure enough another Async system, started with new bin and POOF! Good runner and easy tune. I thought it may be a GM V6 engine needing this and issue to the long intake runners of a Jeep engine? Still have not had my hands on a GM V6... but I have screwed up a perfectly good tune in my V8 Suburban trying to get an Async tune to run. No way to get it even close to running as well as Sync?

So I'm back to my origanal question, why Async?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    that table is a straight line(and shouldn't ever be changed actually).... could be taken care of in the equation easily.

why run async? the only reason i would see it being needed is if you didn't have a good reference pulse interrupt subroutine setup or even capable(a lot of old code gets recycled, possibly code so old that it was used with a processor that didn't support external interrupts?) of firing the injectors based on anything other than a timer loop.

or perhaps it was GM's way of not needing multiple injector pulses to get AE fueling in when needed?

in any case, avoid. fix when possible, start over when not.

You just made a lightbulb go off! So does Async use DRP or not? If not it would work on a conversion without need for tach filter or GM ignition EST module...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    yes and no....

yes because to do the speed-density calc(and therefore determine the amount of fuel to inject), speed(RPM) is required.

no because it doesn't fire based on where the crank/pistons are at, only based on time.

at 80Hz, 12.5mS is 100% injector DC

Fuel Injected!
    In the synchronized mode of operation, the injector is pulsed once for each distributor reference pulse. In dual throttle body systems, the injectors are pulsed alternately. In non-synchronized mode operation, the injector is pulsed once every 12.5ms or 6.25 ms depending on calibration. This pulse time is totally independent of distributor reference pulses.

Non-synchronized mode results only under the following conditions:
    When the pulse width is to small to be delivered by the injector (approximately 1.5ms ).
    During acceleration enrichment.
    During deceleration leanout.

This is information came from a GM book published in the late 80's.

Fuel Injected!
    With a scope you could compare the IPW to the DRP and verify async vs sync mode.
    On a TBI simulator running at a steady speed, if the TPS is quickly opened and no DRP change you will hear the injector being rapidly pulsed. You can do the same thing on a running engine and hear the engine drop rpm's because of the added fuel. I guess that added rapid pulse (AE?) would be asynchronous.

Electronic Ignition!
    Looking through $42 hack it's easy to see how Async could be used to calm down injector pulse at idle or add fuel at WOT. At 2400 RPM it is 1.0 so even, under that it is taking away and over that it is adding.
    When i first modded my engine adding 75 lbs inj's at 13 lbs FP I witnessed surge at idle. I was told(RBob) to disable asynch partly due to my TPI pump having adequate supply of fuel for WOT. I thought it was reducing the pulse rate by half by disregarding the DRP every other injector pulse. Now I see it actually was a multiplier to injector pulse width.
    ASYNC IS BOTH INJECTORS, SYMO
    ; SYNC IS ATRNATING INJECTIONS;
    ; FACTOR = (NUM CYLS/2) * (RPM/60) * (0.0125/2)
    ; .0125 = PULSE PERIOD, (80 Hz)
    So by going all synch at idle it will achieve less fuel than asynch? Or is it the cycle repeating of synch to asynch that causes the surge? I bet that is the reason for surge. My result was a richer idle(WB) witnessed but stable idle.

If it's $42 then just start with a Sync bin like ADSU auto or ASDX manual.

There's lots of other things that can cause surging as well, biggest is a vacuum leak. Built motors can be several settings in bin.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

Red face

It has been eight years since I ran a 7747/$42. this is Ronny from 3rd gen BTW.

Bought time you came by!

-= =-