Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $42 hack and hiway lean cruise patch

Super Moderator
    Jim, that's one of the reasons i've never messed with an assembler.... i can never get them to work the way i want them to, so i just pound it all out in hex in the tunerpro editor, save a test BIN, then disassemble the test BIN to make sure everything matches the assembly i wrote out for it.

takes longer, but it has never failed me.

Mark: how do you(or anybody else) want it to function?

min/max coolant temp?
    min/max MAP?
    min/max TPS?
    min/max MPH?

pretty much any combination of stuff you could think of, it can be used to qualify/disqualify if it should be used. i assume that when the highway fuel mode activates, you'll want a highway spark table will be activated as well to account for the lower flame speed caused by leaner AFRs?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Robert, I have it down to under 200 errors now, mostly undefined symbols. Its going fairly quickly, I just look at the bin and figure out what it wants and change the assembly code. I should have it complete soon.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Okay, I have run into a couple of problems, maybe Robert can help here. The last 3 bytes of the $42 bin are 27 09 96. 27 09 is a BEQ with a relative address of 9. This keeps giving me a branch out of range error + - 128 ??? last time I looked, 9 was between those 2 values. Then the last byte being 96 doesn't make sense either. Is there more code on another chip starting at $E000? I know that I can't resolve this by reading the Pink book, I have been pouring over it all afternoon to get down to this last error. I think I'll head over to thirdgen too.

Super Moderator
    if you're playing with a C3, the 68HC11 pink book won't apply..... the C3s are a derivative of the 6801 - 6809, i forget which.

but the C3s use a PROM from D000 to DFFF, that's the 4KB BIN, it's where all of the calibration and a slight amount of code is stored. the E000 to FFFF range is stored on the processor itself, usually referred to as mask ROM, that's not something you can change. MonteCarSlow somehow got around it using NVRAM to replace both the ROM and PROM, but i wouldn't know how. he had a thread titled "ROMless C3" IIRC.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Thanks Robert, that's what I sort of deduced, but I didn't know about the pink book stuff. Time for a little more digging.

Major progress is being made. It makes a bin successfully now! The problem is addressing modes. I am having to do a hex compare of the bins, then go to the first miscompare, find it in the source, correct the addressing mode, reassemble, rinse and repeat. Slow, tedious, but positive. I will definately be able to finish the first bin in a few more days of slogging.

I DID IT!!!!!! A perfect match between my assembly file and the stock bin. Here is the asm file plus the files necessary to create the bin. Now I will add the lean cruise patch. It was a fight to get correct, but I really understand how $42 goes together a lot better now. PS. The asm11, exbin and makebinasdx.bat files need to run in XP from the command prompt.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-19-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Congratulations!

I've been working on the TunerPro XDF for the last couple days since you got started with this. Added a bunch of stuff. One thing I found and added in was the EGR error 33 fail limit I remember you talking about awhile back. When changing to dual exhaust it would fail EGR test. Well that test requires an INT change of 4 (some bins) and if less, like when you change exhaust it will fail. Well now it's easy to change to less INT count so the test passes.

Kind of strange I noticed in your ASM file some bits missing? Look here, see the 0 or 1 missing in MALFFLG1? Don't know how I noticed or if it makes a difference for your work?:

Code:
       ORG $050D ;
         ;---------------------------------
    LD50D   FCB $FD  ; Mask for MALFFLG1,  1111 1101b
               ;
               ;  bit 0   code 24, VSS            
               ;  bit 1   code 23, MAT Sensor lo temp, (NOT USED)
               ;  bit 2   code 22, TPS lo
               ;  bit 3   code 21, TPS hi
         ;
               ;  bit 4   code 15, Coolant sensor lo
               ;  bit 5   code 14, Coolant Sensor Hi
               ;  bit 6   code 13, o2 sensor 
               ;  bit 7   code 12, No ref's, (eng not running ?)
                  ;---------------------------------
    LD50E   FCB $39  ; Mask for MALFFLG2,  0011 1001
                  ;
               ; 1  bit 0  code 42, EST Mon error          
               ; 0  bit 1  code 41, NO DRP , (NOT USED)
               ; 0  bit 2  code 35, IAC ERROR, (NOT USED)
               ; 1  bit 3  code 34, MAP Sensor low
         ;
               ; 1  bit 4  code 33, MAP Sensor hi
               ; 1  bit 5  code 32, EGR failure
               ; 0  bit 6  code 31, MAP LOW, (NOT USED)
               ; 0  bit 7  code 25, MAT Sensor high temp, (NOT USED)

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Mark, If you look at the ASDX.bin file at address 50D, it has a $FD at that location. The hac has a $FC. it was obviously incorrect, so I changed it. I found a considerable number of errors in the ASDX_HAC. All of them have been resolved in the ASM file.

Cool! But that is not what I noticed. Look at bit 0 to bit 7 under 50D, there's no 0 or 1 in front of them to indicate on or off as compared to bits at 50E.

I'll go through and double check the XDF I've been working on... for years...! This is pushing me over the edge to make a final version, it just keeps getting better, but I think I'm out of improvements?

-= =-

Ok , as I was writing this saying I didn't understand you, I figured out what you were saying. I don't pay attention to that because I just look at it and know what bits are set. here is a picture of what you were asking.

adsx_malfflg1.png

I am starting on hiway lean cruise now.

It's strange I even noticed but thought it may make a difference it what your doing?

So now if you do this with HiWay Lean Cruise applied, the changes will show up? Just trying to understand what your getting at and how this will help?

-= =-

Mark, I did this for a twofold reason. First to add something to the community , and second so that I can study $42 lean cruise to determine if I can do something similar in $0D. Its a learning experience for me. I learned assembly a long time ago, and am getting back into it as well as other programming languages. I understand that most people don't even care about the code itself, merely changing the parameters to make their individual vehicles run better. I think that if I can understand the code better, I can do a better job of diagnosing and tuning a particular vehicle. I also like the idea of being able to customize stuff in different ways. Adding fan control to $42 for instance. I'm not sure if there is an appropriate output that can be used right now, but I will be looking into it. I finished adding the code for lean cruise tonight, and tomorrow I will assemble it and check it out.

I sure apprciate when people share their talent.

I hope others understand how much talent and time this takes! The more I tried to learn the more I realized I did not have the time or talent. But without a good hack there is no good mask/XDF to adjust a bin! If you look at some like the LT1 $EE it's a small fraction of what is there and it really limits what can be done. If you look at $0D to see all the hacks changing/adding things it's just mind boggling how much effort is put into this.

So Thanks! Wish I had more to offer as help.

One idea for fan control in $42 1227747 is using the AIR. I always thought it was just an on/off switch based on temp as that was all I ever saw and thought it was all handled mechanically, until I went through the hack and found several paremeters never introduced into the hack.

Another idea for $42 1227747 is more highway spark table, the table there only does 0 to 50 MAP?

Probably the best hack to $42 1227747 would be combining the two VE tables into one more exteneded like 1227787 and other simalar masks.

-= =-

Thanks for the ideas Mark. The main problem with adding stuff to the $42 bin is the 4K prom space. There isn't a lot of room to spare. I really like the VE table suggestion as that may free up bytes to use elsewhere. Also what would be an equivalent bin for an auto tranny in $42. I would like to do that also, I think it would be real easy to do now. and my truck is currently a $42 bin. I was thinking about ABHN (I have ABHM in my truck, want to switch to the federal bin if i make changes to this bin instead of swapping to a P4 ) for it, but it's a 305 not a 350, so it isn't quite a ASDX equivalent.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-20-2012 at 01:19 AM.