Thread: Supercharged "95 Riv needs a tune

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dmnowaksr View Post
    I think you are right . I thought Tunerpro was part of Tunercat. Thanks for setting me straight. So $5b7 is not a good mask? When I download the free version can I see the layout and get a basic idea without plugging in to a car? Also, do I pm Robert for the cable, and does he have the one with the OBD2 plug for the 95 OBD1.5?
    5B7 just doesn't exist... i don't know if that was an oversight by tunercat or what, but all 94-95 3800 S1 vehicles are 5B. datastreams might be different(haven't looked in a while), but the "masks" are the same between supercharged and naturally aspirated.

i would need to source an OBD2 connector...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Robert, Let me know how much you need for the cable and I will get the money to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    5B7 just doesn't exist... i don't know if that was an oversight by tunercat or what, but all 94-95 3800 S1 vehicles are 5B. datastreams might be different(haven't looked in a while), but the "masks" are the same between supercharged and naturally aspirated.

i would need to source an OBD2 connector...
    I wonder if TunerCat just gave it a new mask so one has boost stuff and one does not? That way the end user can't adjust wrong thing?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Eaglemark, I found a file on here that you were working on back in 2011 for the 94-95 L67. Is that one that I could use when I'm ready?

Super Moderator
    possibility. you can turn a N/A calibration into a supercharged one with a single flag though, IIRC, so it seems kind of pointless. about the only difference between them was that the boosted cars had a boost control solenoid to deal with when the LV8 was detected to be too high(no MAP sensor on these engines, so LV8 had to be used to guesstimate when there was too much torque being made).

Quote Originally Posted by dmnowaksr View Post
    Eaglemark, I found a file on here that you were working on back in 2011 for the 94-95 L67. Is that one that I could use when I'm ready?
    I don't know? That was at least a 1000 bins ago...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    possibility. you can turn a N/A calibration into a supercharged one with a single flag though, IIRC, so it seems kind of pointless. about the only difference between them was that the boosted cars had a boost control solenoid to deal with when the LV8 was detected to be too high(no MAP sensor on these engines, so LV8 had to be used to guesstimate when there was too much torque being made).
    That makes me think yes, they made different masks so end user could not screw up. Have you ever used TunerCat? It's pretty fool proof!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I haven't used any tuning software. I'm as green as they come. No bad habits though!

Electronic Ignition!
    Well, I downloaded Tunerpro RT a few days ago and have spent a little time playing on it. I'm looking forward to hooking up to a car and seeing how much damage I can do. I am in need of an ALDL to USB cable to hook up. My car has the OBD2 ALDL but is OBD1. GM refers to the '95 as OBD1.5 so will the cable used on my car also work on OBD2 vehicles? Also, I was expecting some difficulty do to the fact that my laptop is running Windows 8. So far everything has worked fine. A bit of a learning curve, but I think it will be fine. So if Robert or anyone can hook me up with the details of getting the proper cable I will forward payment to them for it. Thanks Dave

Super Moderator
    i can assure you GM never referred to it as "1.5".

the cable you need is one that uses the OBD1 communication protocal, just with an OBD2 connector on the end. it won't work with any OBD2 vehicle, or at least not in the capacity you would need it for. GM kept the ALDL scheme around for quite some time after 1996, called the "UART data link", so you could poll data off of it, but not much useful stuff for tuning.