Thread: 7730 - Rich on Cranking/Startup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Question 7730 - Rich on Cranking/Startup

Hi all,

Background info:
    Car is a 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT with a 99% stock 2.8L (ported exhaust manifold, deleted egr)
    A few years back I swapped/upgraded my stock ECM to the 1227730 ECM. Overall a great decision. There's a bit of a story of how for a while it was running rich, but I'll spare you the tale. Long story short, I had bigger injectors installed then I was aware of, they were supposed to be stock. The original chip and a few modifications to it was done through the mail, and besides chasing the run rich issue all was well (to the best of my knowledge). To correct my rich issue, make other small modification and learn how to tune, I bought a moates Ostrich 2.0 which will be permanently mounted in the car.

Current problem:
    When the car first starts up its REALLY rich, smoke, very strong gas smell etc. It doesn't have any trouble actually starting though. Once it warms up it seems to be much better but possibly still a little rich (can't remember, as it was fall when I last drove it) . When I was have the rich issue before, it seemed it would get worse and worse over time. I would change the oxygen sensor and it would be greatly improved but eventually get worse and worse again. My guess was the rich start up was carboning up the O2 sensor. So I've installed a heated O2 to help keep it clean, not a solution but hey it can't hurt. But I don't see how the O2 could/should effect the running right after start as it would be in open loop....

My main question is, what parameters would I change to lean up cold running AFR and possibly cranking fuel amount (seems like its dumping a lot of fuel). I have attached my bin bellow if anyone could take a quick look. I have a lot of learning to but I really want to get rid of this rich condition so I can enjoy my car this summer.

Thanks for any of you input!
    Attached Files Attached Files