Thread: How many E fans? Turned AC advice!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many E fans? Turned AC advice!

Reworked my A/C in the recent past. Working pretty good but I got to thinking, what if I added ANOTHER fan to help move air across the condenser, that should help cooling at idle when the only air moving over the condenser is from the fans.... I already have two electric fans switched by the PCM, can I get away with running three fans in total? My main fan is on the radiator, and I have the second smaller fan setup on front of the condenser to push air through the condenser.

The PCM should be controlling a fan relay... so you could run 100 fans if you want and relay or relays are supplied properly

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    as long as you have most/all of the radiator and condenser surface area covered with fan blades with 2 fans, you're pretty much at the top of how much air can be moved through. are your primary and secondary fans essentially on-center in relation to each other? if so, you may find better results by offsetting one of them.

a good fan shroud helps as well, since it forces air to travel the path you want it to.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Just a note of power and current considerations. The fans I've used take about 10-12 amps each to run. If you're going to run another, it would be wise to make sure where you're connecting it can supply the power and the wire gauge is sufficent.
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Fuel Injected!
    You can change fans to a higher cfm.mid 90s model Taurus had a two speed fan that pulled a ton of air.you can have temp. controle speed or compressor controle speed.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    The fans are offset in relation to one another and I don't have a ton of room to add another fan so if I do, it will have to be small, and a supplemental shroud wouldn't hurt.
    I just had a new compressor and drier installed, the system flushed, evacuated, recharged to the tune of about $450 bucks not including the cost of the compressor and drier. I monkeyed around with this A/C system last summer and got it working good for a while. But the original compressor from 1990 crapped out so I opted to pay somebody to put it all together for me this time around, I just didn't want to mess with it.
    Soooo, all this money later and I still have been forced to buy a set of manifold gauges and vacuum pump, plus I still have to buy a new compressor as well, or at least a clutch for this one.
    I purchased the compressor from RockAuto and it has been nothing but trouble so far. The compressor clutch was billowing out smoke just the other day, and since then it's been hot enough at the compressor clutch that it broke my belt, AND melt the electrical connector that plugs into the compressor itself
    This is not my picture, but it shows where that plug is. If I test this plug with my meter for some reason I have about 2 volts less than the battery, so I need to figure out what this means. I'm assuming that this kind of voltage drop is signifcant? Not sure where to begin on this one here?