A word of warning about RockAuto.com

I have bought several things from RockAuto before and had no issues. But when you encounter an issue, is when you really learn about the customer service of a company.

Long story short, I bought a BRAND NEW AC compressor and drier from RockAuto. The system was flushed, a new orifice tube was installed, the new compressor and drier were installed and the system was charged with the proper oil level and refrigerant. All of this work was done professionally by a reputable shop.

The compressor started malfunctioning within just days of installing it. The clutch slipped profusely, to the point where it was billowing smoke out the front of the compressor/pulley area. It got so hot, that it melted the plug where the wires come into feed electricity to the electromagnetic coil that activates the clutch on the compressor. Finally, the compressor got so hot it broke my belt.

After going round and round with RockAuto, it became quite clear that they were not going to honor their faulty part. The compressor that they sold me failed, and thus necessitated that a new compressor would have to be installed (again) and the system would have to be evacuated and recharged (again). I felt like they should help cover at least some of these costs since it's not cheap, and most importantly, it was their faulty part that caused me all this expense, hassle and aggravation.

RockAuto only gave me two choices, send it back for another compressor, or refund it. I didn't want to swap it for another one because who is to say it would be any better than this piece of junk? I told RockAuto to refund me and that I was through with them.

So beware…. IF you buy anything from RockAuto and by chance happen to have an issue such as this, be prepared to be disappointed, jerked around, and just drug over the coals so to say.

Being the ever curious type, I dismantled the clutch assembly to see exactly, what the hell went wrong with this new compressor????

I will tell you that the bearing in the clutch/hub experienced a complete and catastrophic failure because it was probably not put together right. Also, the snap ring that holds it down was only HALF WAY ON…… Not sure which one went first but it's clear that it was no fault of my own, or of the shop that installed the compressor for me. The pictures speak for themselves

Don't risk getting screwed by RockAuto, buy your parts somewhere else…….

Where are those missing ball bearings?!?!?!?

Look at how "cooked" the clutch coil became as a result of the bearing failure

Same as above

Carnage: