Thread: Beware of RockAuto

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china?

So I'm leaning more towards his side. Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.

Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

An old saying applies here:

"A new part is not a known good part."
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china? Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.
    Exactly.

The way I see it is that in most cases one would never have to worry about this. BUT this is not a typical case IMO, this is an A-typical case which adds a whole 'nother side to the transaction.

For example. If it was a set of headlights, a water pump, a window motor, or shocks or whatever, then it would be much easier to swap them out because… you're not completely and totally reliant on some kind of outside source to make it work, like with A/C.

But when you're working with A/C you have to have special stuff to reclaim the refrigerant. You have to have special equipment to vacuum the system out. You have to have gauges to put it back in etc. This is why it's much different than 99.9% of cases in my opinion.

If it WAS a headlight or a window switch or something then a replacement would have been perfectly acceptable. I have returned MORE than my share of parts that were bad right out of the box than most people probably ever will. I NEVER cop an attitude with the counter guy (or somebody on the phone). But I still say, when the part is some kind of anomaly in the procedures/service required, as in this case, just replacement/refund doesn't make it right.

I got my A/C working really good last summer with a friends set of gauges and it worked for a few months, but then the original compressor from 1990 finally bit the dust after 20+ yrs of service. I let it slide since it was getting into the cooler months.

I don't half ass things, and if I don't know something/never done it before, I do whatever it takes to learn and become competent.

In Canada you don't know what it's like to REALLY want A/C and just how cranky it can make you when it can be 100*F and ABOVE with a LOT of humidity for DAYS and DAYS.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.

I've run AC every day for at least a month or so now and I'm 60 miles from Canadia ay?

Plus it was 100-105 between here and Portland Or when I went and when I came home. Yes the entire AC system on my 98 Chevy was new last year.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-