Thread: ODD ball ECM help

Fuel Injected!

ODD ball ECM help

I'm working on an older box truck that had a TBI 5.7 with a 4l80 trans. Has any of you guys ever heard of gm service # 16213505 with bin code BNKR? I need to get my hand on the .XDF file is there if it exists. I call myself looking at all the gm ECM files here but it is very possible I could have missed some somewhere.

Thanks,
    Dewayne

I can't find a listing for BNKR or the PCM number, but a google search found a picture and it sure looks like a 16197427 PCMZ?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/busbeet...ts/5436311453/

Can you read the memcal and see what mask ID it is looking for?

It may be possible to run an $0D 5.7L 4L80E bin in it.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I don't have BNKM, but I do have BNKR... I still need to read the MEMCAL to get the bin off it, but this MEMCAL came from a '7427 that used $0D and $D6 (note: NOT $6D), so you might want to try those.

Just as a reference this MEMCAL is marked as being a 5.7L/4L80E application.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Eaglemark, I should be able to read it but I don't know how to tell what mask id it is without the xdf. I'm not as advanced as most of you guys are, I do good just to play with my 6e car and a couple EE cars.
    Six_Shooter, BNKR is what I'm working with. I think I have a '7427 pcm somewhere in the shop.

I'm a little confused about this whole deal. This truck is actually at a friend of mines shop having problem with a code 87 if I remember correctly. Thats something to do with the trans not shifting soon enough and causing it to go to limp mode if I understand him correctly. According to him GM released an updated memcal to correct the problem but this truck managed to miss out and now it's obsolete so he asked me if I could do anything with it.

Thanks for the help guys, maybe one day I can earn my keep on here and get to help someone else out for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne_S View Post
    Eaglemark, I should be able to read it but I don't know how to tell what mask id it is without the xdf. I'm not as advanced as most of you guys are....
    Me either! That's why we all help!

Like the guys taught me to read the bin, open it in tunerpro, no xdf needed, Tools, Advanced and Hex Editor. Scroll down to line 4000 and it's the 8th place. So hex 4008 will tell you the mask ID.

But without a mask or dissasembly I doubt you'll find error code 87 to turn off? Could get lucky and have it in same place as $0E 4L80E if the tranny segment is in same place? That's really a crap shoot. Maybe someone else has an idea?

That link I found a picture of above seems to have PCMs etc, it's a mitsubishi truck dealer IIRC, they may have the Memcal? There are changes, not just that error turned off. Something about when tranny had some wear it would set the code, they made changes...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    From A little more research we have found that the updated bin id is BXSX. I will have the BNKR chip that is in the truck now in hand to read later today.

Cal Data does not have either of them listed...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne_S View Post
    I'm working on an older box truck that had a TBI 5.7 with a 4l80 trans. Has any of you guys ever heard of gm service # 16213505 with bin code BNKR? I need to get my hand on the .XDF file is there if it exists. I call myself looking at all the gm ECM files here but it is very possible I could have missed some somewhere.

Thanks,
    Dewayne
    Probably a variation from BNKM the G30 van calibration.

Fuel Injected!
    A little update on this.
    It turns out I was given incorrect information, the ECM was 16197427 and not 16213505. Mask ID is $31
    Anyway, I had borrowed the G1 adapter and Ostrich from my Camaro as well as took a couple chips and the ole burn2. Every time I started the engine it would be in limp mode and would run the same with or without the chip installed. It would run fine with the stock chip. I remembered reading that some ECM's needed a socket booster to work with the Ostrich so I burned a chip, then another and yet a third one but got the same results. Never did get it to work.
    Got back home, put everything back in the Camaro and guess what..... freaking limp mode. I kept wiggling the G1 and after a minute it the CK engine light went out the the car ran fine. Looks like years of chip burning and swapping before I got the Ostrich has worn out the G1 adapter.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Just an FYI, the '7427 is not one of those ECMs that needs a socket booster.

It's the '7747 and other similar ECMs that were originally equipped with 24 pin EPROMs.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Just an FYI, the '7427 is not one of those ECMs that needs a socket booster.

It's the '7747 and other similar ECMs that were originally equipped with 24 pin EPROMs.
    Ok, Thanks.
    At this point I think my G1 adapter needs replacing. That may also explain a few incidents when I would start the Camaro and it run so bad I wouldn't leave the house in it then the next time it would be fine.

Administrator
    If you have BNKR for a 7427 would you mind reading it and uploading it?

FYI, the ecm you first mentioned is for a 6.5 diesel and has two applications in my listing. The two calibrations used with it were BMRK and BXPW.

Fuel Injected!
    The first ECM number I mentioned ended up being another set of number on the 7427 ECM and not the service number. I was simply given the wrong number for that ecm.

I'll be glad to upload the BNKR.
    Attached Files Attached Files