Thread: 2 1/16 gauge ECM data display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Maybe the easiest thing to do is just to optimize that library for the display. It shouldn't need that much RAM... :) If you don't want much else then the display and ECM communication tho, it might be OK.

You guys have to start thinking less Arduino and more custom PCB.

Arduino and Teensy++ 2/3.0 are great for prototyping/proof of concept, but when it comes to actually producing something, even as a one off for yourself to fit in a specific form factor, custom PCB is the way the to go.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't mind having the "brain" of the gauge external for now.

But yeah, Chris, if you feel like getting the ball rolling on a PCB with the atmega2650, power supply circuit, CAN controller, CAN transceiver, GPS module, Accelerometer module, etc, please go for it :D

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    I don't mind having the "brain" of the gauge external for now.

But yeah, Chris, if you feel like getting the ball rolling on a PCB with the atmega2650, power supply circuit, CAN controller, CAN transceiver, GPS module, Accelerometer module, etc, please go for it :D

I'll wait until you have final prototype, so that all known components will be accounted for, and then can see what parts can be stripped out...

In most cases the main processor can be swapped out for a smaller physical one with less IO, or a smaller foot print, such as going to an SMD device that uses a smaller pin pitch can save a LOT of space, and then there are a bunch of components that's present on an Uno or similar Arduino that can be eliminated from a final design, saving on space. Then there's usually components on the shields that are extra and not needed, when a uniform design is achieved.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    It would be based on the Mega CPU, that's already SMD. But yeah, there is way too many I/O's on it. Downgrading the numbers of pins on the processor will be fine as long as it doesn't require rewriting the whole code. I would like to keep the Arduino bootloader on the processor so the Arduino stuff can still be used.

Today I got my 100nF capacitor so I did the hardware debouncing for the push button. Works much better now :)

Sometimes some of the code needs changes when going to a more efficient IC, by more efficient, I mean a size of EPROM, RAM, and IO that matches the application, but usually it's just pin re-assignments, which if you do the set-up correctly is a few minute process to change the pin assignments, with going down only a few lines from the top. ;)

The boot loader can be programmed to the Atmel ICs, and then used just like an Arduino, but sometimes that space used by the bootloader is much better used for the code, and then use an ICSP connector to program the IC instead. Once I get a few of my projects a little farther along to the point where I will be making the custom PCB, etc, the ICSP header is my planned way of going about the programming. Obviously there might be some projects that would benefit from the USB connectivity, but most of the ones I have planned don't need that convenience.

Carb and Points!
    This is great stuff! Prior to reading this thread, I'd never even heard of the Arduino stuff. Now I've got an Uno, a couple LCDs, and a "starter" pack on the way. To get re-acquainted with coding (I'm almost 15 years out of college, and haven't used it since then), I'm going to follow some of the simple tutorials to make lights blink, etc, and then build a little display to show coolant temp, fuel level, battery voltage, oil pressure, etc, right from the sensors. After I accomplish that, I want to follow in the footsteps that you guys are taking and start grabbing some of the OBD II data so I can display that as well. My end goal is to simplify the instrumentation in my IROC when I do my LS swap by having a 2.8" TFT between the speedo & tach (like a lot of the newer vehicles utilize) to display sensor data as well as OBD II data.

One question for you guys... how are you interfacing to the OBD port? Are you using some sort of ELM327 device, or are you connecting directly to the OBD port?