Thread: Spark module location

Spark module location

Hey folks
    I'm setting up my 68 Cadillac 472 motor with a 7.4L TBI. I'm using an MSD pro billet distributor already, will be locking out the advance for ECU control and using the distributor's trigger for the spark module (mounted remotely).

I'm seeing a really convenient spot to locate my EST module right on that nice thick aluminum TBI adapter. But, will that adapter get too hot since it's sitting on the intake which has an exhaust crossover?

If not, I'll make a dedicated heat sink for it elsewhere.

Thanks

That described location looks similar to my set-up. Keep in mind, I still need to make a heat sink under the mounting plate.

2013-12-16_16-55-23_194.jpg
    1986 ski centurion boat, 351W, gt40P heads, edelbrock performer rpm, 1227747 ecm, 72 lb/hr injectors (@18 PSI fuel pressure), .490/.490 lift, intake 278 duration, exhuast 282 duration, 112 lobe separation

1969 camaro, 355ci, performer RPM intake, camel hump heads, 1227747 ecm, 454 throttle body (@18 PSI fuel pressure),

2016 Chevy Cruz

2014 Chevy Silverado

I would not mount there? Looks to be OK what mmigacz did but I would still use a bigger heat sink. The big difference from what you propose and what mmigacz did is air flow underneath!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks, the pic convinced me. I think I'm going to put it up by the coil, with some airflow underneath a heat sink.

It would probably heat soak pretty bad on the adapter pad with the eng off, like the old q-jet always did.

Exactly

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

My experience on a few vehicles where I've used remote mounted ICMs is that people WAY over think the heatsink issue. I've ran them with no heatsink at all, and hanging by one screw, to attaching it to a flat metal plate meant as mounting and not (really) for heatsinking, without any issues.

The stock location is one of the hottest spots in the engine bay, next to being physically inside the engine and they work reliably there for years.

I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to use a heatsink, but just don't over think it. A flat mounting plate of aluminum is plenty. Think of how little heatsinking there is when it's installed in the dizzy (in the hottest location it could be in the engine bay). It's a small flat plate. The stem of the dizzy will contribute a LITTLE bit, but will be hot from the engine itself.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Haha, I agree the dist is pretty darn hot, so nothing too elaborate. I'm just going to make a small plate to mount it on.

I smelled some spilled gas at work today, which made me think of how that Caddy smells after driving it in the summer time, and the wonderful hot-start episodes that come with it having that hot-a$$ exhaust crossover. Not sure why I didn't think of that last night, maybe the beers??
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    My experience on a few vehicles where I've used remote mounted ICMs is that people WAY over think the heatsink issue. I've ran them with no heatsink at all, and hanging by one screw, to attaching it to a flat metal plate meant as mounting and not (really) for heatsinking, without any issues.

The stock location is one of the hottest spots in the engine bay, next to being physically inside the engine and they work reliably there for years.

I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to use a heatsink, but just don't over think it. A flat mounting plate of aluminum is plenty. Think of how little heatsinking there is when it's installed in the dizzy (in the hottest location it could be in the engine bay). It's a small flat plate. The stem of the dizzy will contribute a LITTLE bit, but will be hot from the engine itself.

You know, I have always wondered the same thing. Everyone always said mount it on a heat sink, but I couldnt help but think of its stock location in the dizzy and think how there is no way it could be a good heat sink and how the dizzy itself would heat soak when the engine was up to temp, especially in the hot summer. But I followed everyones advise and I ended up mounting it to a old xbox cpu heat sink. In the future, I probably wont go that far and just keep it simple with a easy to make and mount flat plate.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.