Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost

Electronic Ignition!

Lost

My name is crystal and I love love Camaros can I say lol I live in ms and a friend referred me to this site because I'm at a stand still I recently got a 91 Camaro rs v8 tbi for Christmas only under the impression that it was a fuel pump and I replaced fuel assembly fuel pump fuel tank also n now the thing is is its a PROJECT having an issue w no power to gray fuel pump wire could anyone help please!
    Last edited by Crystalvictoriamail; 03-01-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Verify that is the correct color for 12v to the pump as there is a ground, a 12v feed for the pump, and a 5v feed for the level sensor. I dont recall off hand if purple or grey is the correct feed for the pump. Possibly a fuse, ground, relay... Start by checking the fuse box, every fuse visually and with a dvom if u have one. Then check the pump ground and all engine and body grounds. Check the fuel pump relay for power coming in and leaving the relay. Does your ignition key have a little black chip in it? Could also be a passlock issue. Usually the signal wires to the computer.fairly easyfix if u have a meter and the correct keywith the correct chip. This give you something to start with. Lemme know how it goes.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes the purple is for the float it's good the gray is for the 2sec prime to the pump all fuses and grounds are good too checked all relays inside under dash good and on firewall outside good and heard the oil pressure ties in its good too yes the key is chipped but vats has been bypassed by carbine after market security the car was wrecked on pass front checked all crash sensors that's not it and security works how it's supposed to when vats is bypassed you name it I've tried it what I'm not getting is power to that gray wire it goes from pump area to under dash to steering colum then to the lil black box under center consol think it's called SMd I have the name wrote down but I'm sure your fimiliar w it
    Last edited by Crystalvictoriamail; 03-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok i can offer a bypass which is approved many oem's. Just bypass the bad section. Run a new wire from the relay to the pump. Sounds hokey but it could save you hours of digging through a wire loom or testing black boxes. Have you check to see if the grey wire is grounded out? It may not have positive voltage. Check continuity to ground on the grey wire. Either way as long as you keep the wire safe from harm and is the same gauge as the grey wire running a bypass wire is the easiest way. And if you want to track it down later when u have the desire to u can. When in doubt, cut it out.

Buddrow

Electronic Ignition!
    oGonna try it I guess I've had someone suggest it but I don't like shortcuts on a car I don't know much about is the big thing I know. I have t hook it up so that it turns on n off w the switch though but how do YOU suggest I check to see if the gray wire is grounded

Fuel Injected!
    Using either a digital or analog ohm meter, place one lead on the terminal (grey wire) and place the other on a known good ground. Usually a spot on the body whee there is are metal. If the is any reading on the meter other than O.L or "infinity" then the wire is shorted to ground. The bypass method will ensure you have power to the pump and allow you to see if the engine will actually run. Once you verify it will run on the pump the you can make proper repairs to the circuit. Ive seen peoe chase their tails for weeks trying to figure out whats wrong with a wire when there was a mechanical issue with the car. Start there and lemme know if u have any questions.

Fuel Injected!
    I would also recommend finding a factory manual it will come in handy older project vehicles can be fun and tormenting as well at times. The manual will be a good investment if for nothing else but your sanity. And when your ready to put a match to it walk away and regroup and you'll get it figured out.

Electronic Ignition!
    Haha I'm not setting anything in fire it will be done by the way it analog ohms is 053.5

Electronic Ignition!
    And I have the manual that came w the car from the dealer new but no help

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so u have continuity between the power wire and ground. Im assuming you have also checked for voltage on this wire? ;) someone has probably inadvertently used this wire for something its not intended for or the alarm has it grounded. Either way just bypass it with a similar gauge wire and see if it fires up. Shotgun diagnosis I know but since you dont really know the state of the engine other than what you were told Id get it running then go back and spend time tracing the affected wiring.

Electronic Ignition!
    [QUOTE=buddrow;36346]Ok so u have continuity between the power wire and ground. Im assuming you have also checked for voltage on this wire? ;) someone has probably inadvertently used this wire for something its not intended for or the alarm has it grounded. Either way just bypass it with a similar gauge wire and see if it fires up. Shotgun diagnosis I know but since you dont really know the state of the engine other than what you were told Id get it running then go back and spend time tracing the affected wiring

yes had voltage I'm gonna try it I'll get bk to you

Electronic Ignition!
    What if there's no 2 sec prime from gray wire

Then you don't have power to fuel pump from fuel pump relay.

But if your turning key on and off? Sometimes it will not prime until off for awhile, all ECM/PCM have different timers but 30 seconds should cover them all.

Does your fuel pump relay have an extra Red wire hanging from it with a plug on the end? If so you can run 12 volt Batt power to it to keep fuel pump on while testing.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    No extra wire but can how can I run a 12v from batt to relay will give 2sec prime if so what wire do I attach 12 v to

Electronic Ignition!
    [QUOTE=EagleMark;36357]Then you don't have power to fuel pump from fuel pump relay.

But if your turning key on and off? Sometimes it will not prime until off for awhile, all ECM/PCM have different timers but 30 seconds should cover them all.

Does your fuel pump relay have an extra Red wire hanging from it with a plug on the end? If so you can run 12 volt Batt power to it to keep fuel pump on while testing.[/Q
    k so trying to figure out if I had a short somewhere I check the wires. Under dash while doing this the black brain security box light flashed on then off then stayed on then just did this often so I continue feeling There is a short found a. Nic by accident touched w knife n it turns the car over like the starter over k so disconnect batt taped the red ignition wire I'm assuming n hook up batt n n ow no turn I over I even tested starter solenoid w jumper it's good I'm just lost. Now