I've threadjacked a few threads asking questions that happened to be relevent to the post, but I thought I would post a brand new thread to try to mush all the info together and *hopefully* come up with system that doesn't involve spending bukoos of cash through EFI Connections (Not knocking them at all, but the cost of what you get seems like it's mostly paying for R&D).

First, I'll lay out the parts n' stuff....let's take an LT1 w/96-97 timing cover (for crank sensor), the 0411 computer, an LS1 cam sensor (or equivalent...the type that goes in a timing cover), and a fully disassembled Optispark, minus the Opti since it won't be needed at all.

Now, let's lay out some parts that have yet to be made...a blank Opti distributor cap, a new cam sensor reluctor (based on the original optidisk, instead of all the holes the original has, this one has a full 180* cut out of it, with about 1/8th of an inch left around the perimeter).

There are still more parts that need to surface, but those have yet to evolve (crank sensing stuff basically). The short of it is taking any year Opti distributor and refitting it with LSx cam sensing technology. I had thought about throwing in some Vortec parts, but those parts seemed a bit bulky for what I wanted to accomplish. The cam sensor will either a) mount on the blank opti cap, with the height of the cap determined by the length of the sensor chosen, OR find a flush mount sensor (like the Opti sensor, but not using optical pickup) and mount it to the Opti base where the original sensor was. This would be ideal, since this would allow continued use of the distributor (The 4x crank/1x cam can be run by the 0411 with the Vortec 5700 OS from the Express Van), further reducing costs.

Depending on how the new shutter wheel is cut, it could also work with the N*DIS as well. Going that route, a new crank reluctor would have to be cut. To take care of the needed 2nd crank signal, I am wondering if it is possible to send the one crank signal to a circuit card that will 1) Pass an unaltered signal through it to act as signal 1, and 2) Pass the same signal but retarded 27*(?) at all times to act as signal 2. In theory, that would work.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??