Manufacturing a car part with the intention of planned and predictable failure is a strategy used with success. The ignition key and switch is a life endangering car part that has been re-engineered over time and is manufactured with the intention of avoiding predictable failures. GM has come a long way from the dashboard mounted key switch with no locking mechanism for the steering column. They also know from experience that the most used and abused single car part has a life expectancy. Personally I enjoy the design of the Mercedes Benz transponder keys. The ability to never take the key out of your pocket to unlock the doors, open the trunk, and drive the car reflects the foresight of their engineers. The mechanical cut sidewinder key is neatly incorporated into the key fob as a means to enter the vehicle in case of power loss. The physical connection to the dash is not with the key, but the key fob itself. The car I am talking about is a 2003 MB CLK55 AMG. This technology has been available for some time, maybe GM should adopt something like this. I have seen keychain clutter do serious damage, typically on the keychain of someone who carries their junk on it, a few being the janitor type that is nothing but keys.