Thread: Looking for 2012 5.3 liter E38 Connector Pin Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dave, after looking at that schematic I can tell you that the diodes are either integral to the fuse block OR the more likely possibility is that they plug into the fuse block like standard blade fuses. I have seen many later model fuse blocks that have diodes in them. I don't have a part # for you, but you can salvage lots of them from various later model GM fuse blocks. I more than likely have a few of them in my toolbox that I'll take a pic of later when I head down to the basement. The purpose of the diodes is to isolate the two fan circuits from each other so that the ecm can turn on fan1 on a low speed with one output and turn on both fans on at full speed with a second. Without getting all crazy with a drawn-out explanation, the diodes are crucial to proper operation with that particular wiring and solenoid configuration.

On a related note, I do have a little bit to add on your other threads pertaining to this same project that you're working on. It will take me a while to type up those posts though, so it will be later in the day before I can reply to those topics.

Hope I was helpful,
    Phil
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

I was looking through the harness for the Transmission Control Module (TCM) plug, then I learned that the TCM for the 6L80E is inside the transmission ... the internet is usually a good source for information? It might seem odd to some members that I did not know where the 6L80E TCM was. My main role in this conversion is wiring and the computer flash (the fun stuff).

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    ... the TCM for the 6L80E is inside the transmission ...
    Yes sir ... 6L80/90 TCM connector looks like this ...

Attachment 7012Attachment 7013

I was looking through the harness for the Transmission Control Module (TCM) plug, then I learned that the TCM for the 6L80E is inside the transmission ... the internet is usually a good source for information?

dave w
    Makes it a pain in the ass when replacing a bad transmission. Have to haul truck to dealer to get replacement trans/TCM flashed so it will communicate with ECM.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    The T43 actually isn't too oppressive to work with. The newer ECMs (E38 / E67 / E78 / E83 / E92) need a GM dealer / TIS flash if replaced - as tuning software cannot read / write the throttle control portion (second core) of the ECM.

The T42 / T43 / T76 TCMs can be completely reflashed using tuning software - making them a little more user friendly.

I've noticed some "brake" related pins in the E38 computer.

The pins I have questions about are on the X1 connector (Black 73 pin connector):
    X1 - 26 Brake Apply
    X1 - 42 Brake Apply
    X1 - 54 Brake Apply

Are the above pins inputs / outputs from ABS? Are the above pins inputs / outputs from somewhere other than the ABS?

The other pin I have a question is:
    X1 - 09
    I'm thinking this is from the brake switch and in a Normally Closed input to the E38 computer?

Thanks,
    dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I've noticed some "brake" related pins in the E38 computer.

The pins I have questions about are on the X1 connector (Black 73 pin connector):
    X1 - 26 Brake Apply
    X1 - 42 Brake Apply
    X1 - 54 Brake Apply

Are the above pins inputs / outputs from ABS? Are the above pins inputs / outputs from somewhere other than the ABS?
    I believe that these are generally not used with E38 non-Hybrid trucks. Hybrid uses pin 54 for fan control. V6 trucks (E37 ECM) does use these pinouts.

Can you post the schematics your question is based on ?

The other pin I have a question is:
    X1 - 09
    I'm thinking this is from the brake switch and in a Normally Closed input to the E38 computer?

Thanks,
    dave w
    Gen IV brake input logic is the opposite of Gen III.

Gen III PCM receives 12 volts when the brakes are NOT applied - and this circuit is interrupted when the brakes are applied - a Normally Closed circuit.

Gen IV ECM / TCM receive 12 volts when the brakes ARE applied - and this circuit is interrupted when the brakes are released - a Normally Open circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I believe that these are generally not used with E38 non-Hybrid trucks. Hybrid uses pin 54 for fan control. V6 trucks (E37 ECM) does use these pinouts.

Can you post the schematics your question is based on ?
    I do not have schematics, I'll need to research (visit my local public library) for the schematics.

dave w

X1 - 26 Brake Apply
    X1 - 42 Brake Apply
    X1 - 54 Brake Apply
    I have learned there is a Brake Pedal Position Sensor.
    X1 - 26 Brake Apply ~ Yellow wire Circuit 5361
    X1 - 42 Brake Apply ~ Brown wire Circuit 5360
    X1 - 54 Brake Apply ~ White wire Circuit 5359

I will need to disable the both P057C and P057D Brake Pedal Position Low / High.

I was not able to find a schematic for connector X1 - pin 09 brake switch.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I have learned there is a Brake Pedal Position Sensor.
    X1 - 26 Brake Apply ~ Yellow wire Circuit 5361
    X1 - 42 Brake Apply ~ Brown wire Circuit 5360
    X1 - 54 Brake Apply ~ White wire Circuit 5359

I will need to disable the both P057C and P057D Brake Pedal Position Low / High.

I was not able to find a schematic for connector X1 - pin 09 brake switch.

dave w
    Give me a year and model I will go for a quick dig.