Thread: Hacking/tuning the jeep ecm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    There are no Chevy engines which meet your criteria.

I'm often asked to tune Jeeps, but I always have to decline. For what it's worth, would the Moates.net Road Runner be an option for the DIY Jeep computer?

dave w

There's also a guy who installs a MegaSquirt board in LS1 PCM case... now that I think of it why not gut your case and install a MegaSquirt to the ECM plug! All you need then is a longer cable to reach inside the cab to hook up to the laptop.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    I'd use a 7730 myself. Lots to gain by switching to an ecm you can adjust.

But the Mopar stuff looks kind of neat. I found an article a while back describing the ChryCo approach to fuel and spark and I was trying to find it again. While GM took to making tables, Chrysler used functions. So they've got "ramps" for spark and for fuel based on coolant temp, rpm, iat, tps, & etc. After working with cells and specific rpm/map intersections the Dodge approach seems lacking but when you think about the VE smoothers and the way many people fill in spark and VE tables, we do the same thing.

Was a guy a long time ago who swapped a GM ecm onto a Jeep I6. Was one of the first ones I know of. I think it was Jeremy Gonyou, same guy that got a job at Ford by reverse engineering GM code. :) Can't find any references right now but it wasn't a bad project for something done back in the dark ages.

Megasquirt looks like a very nice system and I have nothing personally aganst it. But in the back of my mind I just dont want to run a fully custom ecm. I cant help but thinking if something freak happens and the ecm get fried (bad alt, idiot hooks up booster cables wrong, many things could happen) I am now stuck with a jeep I cant drive untill I order a very expensive replacement. If I use a common junkyard sourced ecm/pcm, if something happens I could go into most any parts store or junkyard and get a replacement, I can also buy and keep a couple of spares.

Looking on tunerpro at nothing but the dowload page, I saw a couple V6 ecm's that are supported. (but didnt dl and look at the definations) Plus I dont know much about these engines either.

94-95 3.1L (L82) A-body (Century, etc)
    ADS also spplies to W-Body

94-95 Series 1 3.8L (L27) and 94-95 Series 3.8L SC (L67)

94-95 LQ1 3.4L V6
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Megasquirt looks like a very nice system and I have nothing personally aganst it. But in the back of my mind I just dont want to run a fully custom ecm. I cant help but thinking if something freak happens and the ecm get fried (bad alt, idiot hooks up booster cables wrong, many things could happen) I am now stuck with a jeep I cant drive untill I order a very expensive replacement. If I use a common junkyard sourced ecm/pcm, if something happens I could go into most any parts store or junkyard and get a replacement, I can also buy and keep a couple of spares.

Looking on tunerpro at nothing but the dowload page, I saw a couple V6 ecm's that are supported. (but didnt dl and look at the definations) Plus I dont know much about these engines either.

94-95 3.1L (L82) A-body (Century, etc)
    ADS also spplies to W-Body

94-95 Series 1 3.8L (L27) and 94-95 Series 3.8L SC (L67)

94-95 LQ1 3.4L V6
    There's lots of choices for an GM ECM ready to go for 6 cylinder and well supported by TunerPro. Numbers go down because you want to replace/repin yours and use existing location under hood. The perfect choice is 1227727. But it is not sequential. Only one I know of that is under hood and sequential OBDI is for an LT1 16188051-16191333-$EE But it's for 8 cylinder, even if the PCM could do six cylinder building a six cylinder OptiSpark distributor would be mind boggling.

Now if you would just forget about sequential and run a batch fire ECM the answer is simple. 1227727 GM ECM used in many six cylinder under hood cars.
    It made me remember a conversation with a Detroit Fuel Injection engeneer who has been working on developing EFI from it's inception for GM then Ford. Sequential FI was developed to meet EPA standards for idle and off idle. The way he described it was once an engine reaches like 1200 RPM it does not matter, injectors are firing so fast it does not make a hill of beans. More RPM and they hardly flinch at turning off, high RPM and they are just about wide open constantly. So why is SFI such a big deal?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The factory ecm is underhood, but I wouldnt ignore anoher option if it was a under dash unit. It wouldnt be much more work just to run some extra wire and mount it inside. Whats the datalog speed on that ecm? If my plan for tuning my factory one bombs, then I would want at least the same datalog speed at the 7427 I have in my cherokee, or faster.
    Also, It would be nice if I could reuse as many of my factory sensors as I could. I already have a 1x cam sensor, and it look a lot like the gm ones I have seen pictured on here. Its also a speed denisity (MAP) based system. I think DIS would be a added plus, if possiable. I dont really want to swap to a older modded non FI distributor, I would want a crank triggered system. I know my factory crank trigger would not work, as the notches in the flywheel wont match up to anything gm uses. But my harmonic blalancer has a nice lip around it that would lend itself to being machined real easy.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Carb and Points!
    I have, and looked through the gel with a flashlight, and its a 27c256 eprom in it, with the little picture of texas on it, also has a sticker covering the window and a bunch of numbers on it. There is a setting in the moates prom I/O for that chip. So I'm thinking it could be read jeep ecm's also have a 7 diget number on them, with the last 3 being twice the size of the first 4.
    Last edited by dave w; 05-20-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Carb and Points!
    I have an ibox. No idea how to use it.