Thread: EFI Fuel Pump Upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY 9c1 Fuel Pump module upgrade for 2000 Impala LS with L67 swap

To my understanding, the Impala 9c1 Police Package has the NA 3800 engine, but the fuel pump and module assembly used in the L67 cars. Thanks for posting your FP mod Greg! Here is my contribution. In theory, this should work for my L67 swap - I suppose I will find out in the next few days.

UPDATE: My L67 swap project is nearly complete. First start of engine went without any problems. 28 sec. video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf7R4gOU4-c

The fuel pump mod worked great. The first and only test drive so far was around a residential neighborhood. The transmission shifted into all gears and the engine sounded and felt great! Just before I turned the corner to the house, I goosed the throttle to about 1/3 and the front end of the car lifted and put me back in the seat. That felt great! I pulled the car into the garage, revved the engine 2 times and as the RPM level came to idle, it fell below idle and engine died. I now have a crank but no start situation and the car has not started up since. I am waiting on a fuel pressure gauge for further diagnostics as ignition spark is present. One thing I have not replaced during the swap is the fuel pressure regulator. I have a feeling what happened is when I goosed the throttle, the high-speed fuel pump relay kicked in and blew the hose off the fuel pump or at the other end where it connects to the module. I will edit or update this post when the problem is identified.

The other thing I wanted to add to this project is about the rubber feet on the module. They are there to prevent the spring pressure from flattening the fuel sock between the module base and the fuel tank. The used module I pulled from the junk yard had only 2 of the 3 feet. That module was from a steel tank which uses the thick rubber O-ring type seal along with the large snap ring lock. The plastic fuel tank I have uses a steel rotating lock ring with a wide rubber seal. The rubber feet at the bottom of the module interlock with the plastic bucket through 2 holes. Unfortunately, the only 2 rubber feet I had were removed... in pieces... Old and dry...

The solution I used was cutting three pieces of the unneeded rubber O-ring seal from the steel tank design about an inch long. Folding a section in half, squeeze it into the hole for the original rubber foot and allow the return spring tension of that piece to hold itself in place in the oval shaped hole. With the spring pressure from the module itself pushing down on the new feet, I highly doubt they will find a way to work themselves loose from the assembly. I did not take pictures of this. If I need to remove the assembly for repair, I will be sure to take some pics then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by User Nameless; 06-12-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    L67 swap in progress - 2000 Impala LS

I had a handle on life once, then it broke off!