Thread: Good deal turns out not so good.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You already bought swamp land and your going for another hunk? I'd never buy a Auto trans unless I drove it and pulled the pan or was from a well known JY that buys late model wrecked stuff like Spaldings in Spokane. They truely give exact milage and 30 day gaurentee.

Pull the pan. If it has chunks of metal or fiber? It's junk! Only thing you should see in bottom of pan is very fine black dust. Speedo sensors all collect shavings because of the magnet... but then again if thers that many, again its junk! Auto transmissions should not get metal shavings like a manual trans or diferential. It's a hydyalic pump with clutch disks.

But if the vehicle is really that clean it could be worth a new trans and work. Around here I could bring that trans to a GOOD shop and have rebuilt for $500. or so with a 3 year 36K mile warrenty.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I jacked one of the rear tires up today and put it in neautral and spun the rear tire. When I would spin it forward, there was a squeeking noise coming from the trans. If I spin it back and forth, I can hear a metallic clanking kinda like something is got some real play in it. I think its pretty much toast. I bet that clanking and squeeking has something to do with the whining/grinding noise its making. The VSS had a little crud on it, not too bad. Cleaning it helped nothing.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I called every junkyard in the area and no one has this trans. Appears to be made of unobtaninum. Closest one was well over a hour away and they wanted $700 for it. I just cant afford that. I have a feeling its gonna be way more than that to rebuild/repair mine. Gonna call a few shops tomorrow, then I will just probably have to accept defeat and try to sell it for what I have in it and hopefully break even. I hate dishonost people. I was under the impression there was no other problems other than the engine, and I had just enough extra money to fix that. I have no money left for the trans unless I could find one for a couple hundred dollars. The one on craigslist I found got sold yesterday.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.