Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.3 ECM in a 2.8 TBI and motor?

You will need the diag port to solve this, I'm betting you have codes set and will need some sort of bin adjustment.
    Its all pretty easy, this is the right place to come.
    Sounds like a cool project, it doesn't take much to get that little car moving fast.
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 79 Heather Won View Post
    I am trying to locate a diagnostic port to pull codes
    Good Plan!

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I am having difficulties in finding where to pick up a OBD1 diagnostic port. It appears that when the wiring harness was salvaged the port was left behind. Does the OBD1 diagnostic port have a plug connector to connect to the ECM? If so, I believe that I may still have the plug that connection. It is a 9 pin connector. Thanks in advance.

I am having difficulties in finding where to pick up a OBD1 diagnostic port. It appears that when the wiring harness was salvaged the port was left behind. Does the OBD1 diagnostic port have a plug connector to connect to the ECM? If so, I believe that I may still have the plug that connection. It is a 9 pin connector. Thanks in advance.
    I think you need to do some wiring? See attached schematics.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave, Thanks for the schematics...please advise the type of wiring connection that represents the ALDL side of the schematic.

Dave, Thanks for the schematics...please advise the type of wiring connection that represents the ALDL side of the schematic.
    Wire ECM pin A8 to ALDL connector pin E
    Wire ECM pin A9 to ALDL connector pin B
    Wire ECM pin A12 to ALDL connector pin A and splice with chassis ground

Wire service engine soon / check engine light to:
    ECM pin A5
    Ignition Switch On / Start with a 10 amp fuse

Connector pin information from the Dynamic EFI website: http://www.dynamicefi.com/RePinHowTo.php

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 09-04-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Awesome Dave. That looks like an OBD 1 port. Could you do same with OBD 2 port? Would there be any advantage using the universal OBD 2 port?

Fuel Injected!
    It's an OBD1 system, so an OBD2 scanner wouldn't be able to communicate with it even if you did wire in the port.

Electronic Ignition!
    Fastaction...just wondering. Then why are there adapter plugs that go from OBD 1 to OBD 2? I do not own a diagnostic tool and until I get one, was just thinking of going to AutoZone to have the codes read. What makes more sense... buying a code reader or getting software for a PC? I am very new to fuel injection and ECU's. Tom

Electronic Ignition!
    Would a OBD1 port off of a full size pickup with a 305 work for a 2.8 tbi?

Fuel Injected!
    I would think that those adapters are specific to the scanner they're used with. OBD1 and 2 use completely different protocols. My Snap-On scanner will work with OBD1 or OBD2 as long as I have the proper adapter and cartridge plugged in, but my handheld OBD2 scanner just doesn't have the capability to talk to OBD1. Nowadays, the best way to go is to get a cable or device (like the Moates APU1) and software to use on your PC, there's no substitute for datalogging. Another bit of info, most OBD1 code readers require you to input portions of the VIN to determine what kind of ECM/engine it's connecting to.

How are you liking the power of the 2.8 so far? I'm trying to find a good engine to swap into my GT6+ and it's one of the few V-6s that will fit without major cutting.

Electronic Ignition!
    Fastaction, thanks for the reply. I am very happy with the power and drivability of the B. Keep in mind that power is relative to weight and gearing. The car is around 2300 pounds. I have a T5 out of a Camaro and 3.9 rear. She will shit and go... have buried the 120mph Speedo on the highway once. The real joy to the car is the torque that the 2.8 brings over the inline 4. Makes the gearbox very versatile. Perfect,IMO, for the curvy road thing it is. Tom.

Fuel Injected!
    Would a OBD1 port off of a full size pickup with a 305 work for a 2.8 tbi?
    Yes, just get any port from an '87-'92 TBI car or truck and you should be good.

Fuel Injected!
    Fastaction, thanks for the reply. I am very happy with the power and drivability of the B. Keep in mind that power is relative to weight and gearing. The car is around 2300 pounds. I have a T5 out of a Camaro and 3.9 rear. She will shit and go... have buried the 120mph Speedo on the highway once. The real joy to the car is the torque that the 2.8 brings over the inline 4. Makes the gearbox very versatile. Perfect,IMO, for the curvy road thing it is. Tom.
    Thanks for the info. My GT6 is about the same weight or a little lighter, so it's starting to sound like that might be the way to go. I kinda want to keep my 4 speed with overdrive unit, so I'll have to figure that out.

Electronic Ignition!
    Was lucky enough to get a OBD1 port today off of a full size Chevy. Had to move pin d to e on the OBD1 port. Used a couple of Heathers hair pins to remove the wire and connector. Hope to wire it tomorrow... then chasing codes ect.