Thread: The "Tan Brick" aka my 1997 Express Cobra conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    The G30 cable needs to be cut shorter to work with the K series pedal. On the actual cable are two crimped steel "beads." One is at the end of the cable, the second, a larger rectangular bead, is about 4" - 5" from the end. We cut the "extra" 4-5" off the end and insert the larger rectangular bead into the new pedal. Red arrow shows bead... it must be cut in half.

GMC offered "2500" vans for upfitters for years that had few observable differences from the half ton cousins.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The G30 cable needs to be cut shorter to work with the K series pedal. On the actual cable are two crimped steel "beads." One is at the end of the cable, the second, a larger rectangular bead, is about 4" - 5" from the end. We cut the "extra" 4-5" off the end and insert the larger rectangular bead into the new pedal. Red arrow shows bead... it must be cut in half.

GMC offered "2500" vans for upfitters for years that had few observable differences from the half ton cousins.
    Let me see if I follow. I bet the G1500 cable is the same, atleast on the pedal end. The K30 (Is this the HD truck or your normal K3500 4x4) pedal bolts right on, cut the extra off the cable by cutting that rectangular bead in half.

I know they offered those. While they are extremely rare, I have seen a couple of conversion vans on G3500 with 454s and 8100s. Most notable one I can remember was sent to Quigley first for a 4wd conversion then went to a high end conversion company. 8100 + 4x4 + Conversion and was pretty tricked out.

Fuel Injected!
    I looked up a pedal for a 1999 K30 on Ebay, couldn't find one, but found a listing for a K3500. List to be the same pedal from 96-99 in the OBS trucks. I think I have one of these left over from the 1999 K1500 Suburban we parted out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-98-Chevy-...029b55&vxp=mtr

Administrator
    Sorry. I had to run off to a prior appointment.

Let me see if I follow. I bet the G1500 cable is the same, atleast on the pedal end. The K30 (Is this the HD truck or your normal K3500 4x4) pedal bolts right on, cut the extra off the cable by cutting that rectangular bead in half.
    Yes. The K30 was a normal truck.

I looked up a pedal for a 1999 K30 on Ebay, couldn't find one, but found a listing for a K3500. List to be the same pedal from 96-99 in the OBS trucks. I think I have one of these left over from the 1999 K1500 Suburban we parted out.
    They probably are the same in all C/K trucks in those years. We had a K30 here to borrow a pedal from on the day we were trying the first swap, so I always ordered a new pedal for that vehicle.

That 4WD conversion van sounds cool. I once found a Quigley conversion bus at a reasonable price but no matter how I tried I couldn't get upper management to go for it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Sorry. I had to run off to a prior appointment.

Yes. The K30 was a normal truck.

They probably are the same in all C/K trucks in those years. We had a K30 here to borrow a pedal from on the day we were trying the first swap, so I always ordered a new pedal for that vehicle.

That 4WD conversion van sounds cool. I once found a Quigley conversion bus at a reasonable price but no matter how I tried I couldn't get upper management to go for it.
    No problem! I got busy with work as well.

It was threatening rain this evening and the mosquitos are worse. Even Deep Woods OFF was not stopping their thirst for my blood. I only managed to get the wiper cowls fitted. I found a battery terminal puller makes getting the wiper arms off a breeze.

Fuel Injected!
    Finished up the wiring harness repairs at the PCM this afternoon. Ended up not labeling a wire somehow. Just pinned everything else in and tried to start the van. It started and ran, missing badly. It was luckily and injector wire and was easy to figure out.

PCM Harness Finished

Booster & Master Cylinder installed

At this point if the used Booster and Master cylinder function correctly all I have left is to bleed the brakes and install the hydroboost power steering hoses.

Fuel Injected!
    Finally finished this project and it has been very worthwhile. Test drive revealed much better handling and ride. The hydroboost/larger bore 1-ton master also works so much better than the vacuum setup. I am having to learn how to brake all over again.