Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
^^ Nice picture! Very good comparison.

You may need to cut a small notch into the distributor to accommodate a plug for the additional wires to the computer. The part number I gave is an aftermarket module and it's used for both six cylinder and eight cylinder engines. The OEM listed different modules. Originally, large cap HEI distributors with clockwise rotation and 7 pin modules were found on 229 Chevrolet engines and 238 even fire Buick engines with CCC systems (computerized carburetor) from around '81 to roughly '84. You may be able to use a 7 pin module from a V8 car. There are likely to be some differences in dwell time and spark advance when the computer is not controlling timing, at least with the OEM parts. But it may not be noticeable. I would expect the V8 wiring harness could be made to work in a pinch although I really try to get everything from the original applications because you just never know what subtle differences you'll find.
I may be late to this party, but why not just use the CCC HEI from a 4.1L I6 from say a California model of a 1984 G20 van?? I believe it is AC Delco # 88864755