Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What If? $8D (1227727 ECM) for TBI

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    not 100% certain of how 8D works, but in A1 and it's successors and predecessors, there is the "fueling mode select" and "cylinder count" as seperate items.

cylinder count is simply a multiplier for RPM/airflow/etc calculations, it's the fueling mode select that's used for the DTC41 info.
    Ok, I have loaded $A1 .xdf/.bin/.adx into TunerPro RT. I'm not going to have much time to modify the ARUT.bin I have loaded. I'm on a learning curve with $A1! My thinking is, I should be able to flash the ARUT.bin with the $18 change and capture a couple more O'scope videos and .xdl file. Any other changes I should do to the ARUT.bin before I flash a chip and do one last bench test?

I also wonder, is there a make / model / year I can program into my AutoXray 7000 to scan $A1 with after making the $18 change?

Thanks,
    dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    if you have the "KK41MODE" value (found at 04F1, assuming it's not in the XDF) set to $18, then no, not really? it should be enough to test anyways.

what's with the sudden change to A1? the same value should work in 8D.

and ARUT is a 91 J-body (cavalier) with a 3.1, should be easy enough to find an application for.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    cylinder count is simply a multiplier for RPM/airflow/etc calculations, it's the fueling mode select that's used for the DTC41 info.
    Nothing in the old hacs is listed as a fueling mode select or anything similar. However, when looking at the code for "cyl select" error in $8D same values are listed in comments as what you've listed for the fuel mode values. Years of confusion over a simple misnaming? It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Dave, check the value at $8293 in $8D. I suspect it's currently $00. Change it to $18 and try in the TBI memcal.

if you have the "KK41MODE" value (found at 04F1, assuming it's not in the XDF) set to $18, then no, not really? it should be enough to test anyways.

what's with the sudden change to A1? the same value should work in 8D.

and ARUT is a 91 J-body (cavalier) with a 3.1, should be easy enough to find an application for.
    The switch to A1 is for two reason, one is to capture data that could be useful in the future, and I have not been able to figure out how to change $18 in 8D. I'll look at Hex address 04F1 and post back what I find.

Thanks for the help,
    dave w

oneproject2many, I can't find hex address 8293 in $8D.
    I can try setting the $8D Cylinder Number to 18 and see what happens?

RobertISarr, I think I have correctly found hex 04F1 in $8D which I think is set to value 0C?
    I can try setting, what I think is 04F1 from 0C to 18 and see what happens?

dave w

Super Moderator
    you're referencing 04F0(line starts with 0), 04F1 is next to it and is currently $18 already.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

you're referencing 04F0(line starts with 0), 04F1 is next to it and is currently $18 already.
    Thank you for clarifying the Hex reference!

dave w

Humans start counting at 1. Computers start counting at 0. So who's the human who made computers count wrong?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Humans start counting at 1. Computers start counting at 0. So who's the human who made computers count wrong?
    That reminds me of a sign I saw once ... there are 10 kinds of people ... those who understand binary and those who don't.

dave w

Administrator
    Sorry, Dave. Too many years working with this stuff and too little time to make complete posts caused confusion. The addresses in the $8D hac are the addresses at which the calibration and program reside in the ecm. They begin at $8000 but the hex editor addressing (unless you change it) begins at $0000. So in order to view or change $8293 from the hac you need to look at $0293 in the hex editor.

I grabbed a sample cal (AWFU) from the $8D reference thread. The value there is $00. I can change it with hex editor and attach but you'll probably want to try it with the cal you've been using.

That reminds me of a sign I saw once ... there are 10 kinds of people ... those who understand binary and those who don't.
    I love that joke. I think it was six_shooter's sig in a forum I was on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Sorry, Dave. Too many years working with this stuff and too little time to make complete posts caused confusion. The addresses in the $8D hac are the addresses at which the calibration and program reside in the ecm. They begin at $8000 but the hex editor addressing (unless you change it) begins at $0000. So in order to view or change $8293 from the hac you need to look at $0293 in the hex editor.

I grabbed a sample cal (AWFU) from the $8D reference thread. The value there is $00. I can change it with hex editor and attach but you'll probably want to try it with the cal you've been using.

I'll try changing $0293 and post back what I find.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'll try changing $0293 and post back what I find.

dave w
    Here is the screen shot of what I've done to $0293.

dave w

That would be correct.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Yeah, I think I used that on V6Z24.com for a while.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I've completed the bench testing, the wire harness and ECM have been delivered.

I have a some interesting video's using $A1 with a TBI Memcal and $A1 with a V6 Memcal.

The testing I was able to complete late this afternoon.
    Test 1: TBI Memcal $8D Hex address 0293 = 18 resulted with Error Code 41.

Test 2: TBI Memcal $8D Hex address 0293 = 00 with Number of Cylinder = 18 resulted with Error Code 41.

Test 3: TBI Memcal $A1 Cylinder Number = 18 (TBI) resulted with Error Code 41.

Test 4: V6 Memcal (BCC ASHH) $A1 Cylinder Number = 18 (TBI) Did Not have ERROR Codes.

Note: $A1 .adx file did not show a data stream, most likely because of the wiring differences between a V8 TPI and V6 PFI?

At this moment, I'm not sure what a good path forward could / should be. I like a combination that does not set error code 41.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!
    dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files