Thread: TunerPro Rt used as a scan tool?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yep I got a cable, loaded the drivers, played with it the night it showed up. The next morning I logged my drive to work. Looked at it at work (let's just say that I started at the guage cluster in tunerpro rt during every break and lunch), then logged it on the way home too. All of this was done on my 1989 V1500 suburban with 350/700R4 3.73 rear. I have not plugged into the lumina, but I did find (don't know if it is right or not) the (don't remember the names of the files) 3 files that are required for a computer to (don't know if I'm using the right language again) communicate with the lumina. The files were on this website. 3 things that need I need to advise on:
    1. I can connect to this website with my pda, but I can log on and read, just can't input information. I can input information at another forum.

2. The lumina is a 4 door vehicle, and where it is there is no internet AT ALL.

3. I use another laptop to communicate with vehicles. That laptop does not have any connection to the outside world other then the disk that I load to it. I do this for a number of reasons, mostly for security, if I loose or the laptop is stolen I'm out 20 bucks, if this laptop is lost or stolen I'm out a few k's, including the information that is on it.

I said the thing about a torch because I am not a mechanic, well not professionally, I am a diesel fabricator. I only spin wrenches for myself, so a torch is my main tool of choice, and because a plasma is too damn loud!!! I mainly work on large detroit, and cat powered vehicles, but I have always been amazed at what a 25 year old truck is still capable of, and what could still be obtained out of 'passed over' technology. Granted this power plants are not as efficient as the newer motors, but I would like to begin to learn on something that is relatively cheap and plentiful to replace if I do a 'oops', compared to what I want to put in the truck. Eventually I want to dd my suburban but with a few added features, like a 6.0 rebuilt from the ground up, with twin turbos. Moderately producing 1000 horsepower, with a 4l80e and a 203/205 transfer case, I am currently building the new rear end from a $50 14 bolt that I aquired from the scrap yard. I will be attaching the truss (full width from spring perch to spring perch) hopefully by the end of the week. To top it all off I want it to sit on 40" tires. Not to much to dream for huh, I dreamed of this truck for many moons in a foreign land being home and building it, I have gotten to the point in my life (which by the way I never thought I would be alive by now) where I can think about it.

For years my buddies told stories that they were going to come home and buy the newest vette and the hottest split tails would just walk up and go for a ride, then they would ride them. Well, I told stories of a 'monster' 4x4, 30 years old looking like it just rolled off of the assembly line, but with the powertrain of a vette, with the capablity of a tank, and the agility of an airboat. That's what I'm building, and this is why I am learning.
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Like a 14 bolt needs a truss!

The rest sounds like fun.

Well I have a few hours into the adx for you. It may or may not hook up and record data first shot. I'm getting better at this so give it a try and let me know how it works. DashBoards are installed but not all values are set. Right click on item and put what you want where.

Item lists have engine data, Error Codes and Switches.

If it hooks up first time get a data log so I can work on it further. If not we will make small adjustments till we get one solid connection first time every time!

Your lucky that Dan T (Sil - 60degreev6.com) wrote a very complex xdf for this engine. I started working on it with data tracing. If you want simple to start get the one named $DF.xdf

If you want the more complex that will have data tracing get the set of
    $DF-16149396-V1.xdf
    and
    $DF-16149396-V1.adx

Your bin is also in this thread with adx and xdf.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-DF

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Once you get the correct .adx working, seeing which codes are active, is not all that hard, but you would be better to set up a different dash for just that purpose. You could populate it with just malfunction flags from the bitmask section, and maybe a couple of key sensor outputs, like what you would see in a OBDII scantool. So you would connect the DA and then when you turn the key on any active codes should show up.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 01-06-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I never thought of a dash for error codes? Cool!

I set that up for him so he has an Item List page for error codes.

-= =-

Oh yea I forgot those are all in the item list/sensor data window.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Wow, I just got rid of my headache before I read the thread. Then I reread the thread, I think I'll need more asprin. I'll go out there this coming weekend, like in 5 days and plug in to the lumina. Now where do I start??????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??Hope???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????you????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????? get??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? the??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? picture. I just got the basics understood, you guys remind me of getting in country just landing on the tarmac with 2 linguists but neither one speak the correct dialect. DOH!
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Well you just did it on your truck, so what's the issue? Same thing, differant files.

Back in this thread I had them ready to try:
    $DF-16149396-V1.xdf
    and
    $DF-16149396-V1.adx

Your bin BDJS is also in this thread with adx and xdf
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-DF

-= =-