Quote Originally Posted by Danoby View Post
I scored a 395 cam on ebay for a hundred bucks. It's a brand new marine engine take out. The engine needed to be converted to reverse rotation prior to install. My plan is to put this cam in along with new valve seals. I am wondering how it will run without any tuning. I really need to get on board with the tuning process. I have heard too many bad things about online chips with remote tuning. Plus I think I could really enjoy playing with it. How do I get started?? If you guys could walk me through this I would be elated. I think the benefits will be half as great installing a cam without a tune. In fact, the benefits of all the upgrades I have already done are probably only half realized at best.
First step is find the ECM and take a picture of the label and post back here. Probably has a part number ending in 8746'. If it is an 8746', the best place to start is a 9C1 chip and 65/68 lb/hr police car injectors. Have to get your engine enough fuel to be able to start the tuning process. The Marine cam is similar in overall duration and lift to the L98 cam. In a 96-2002 vortec engine the 395' cam will fire up and run without much work, but it also uses a mass airflow sensor and a more advanced PCM.