Thread: Options If I Can't Run a MAF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Options If I Can't Run a MAF

OK guys, I'm really struggling here trying to get plumbing set up to run a MAF on my 96 LT going into my 1939 Checy project. These cars 'pinch' really hard in the front making cooling and air intake plumbing VERY challenging. So what are my options if I can't run a MAF in my hot rod?

Quote Originally Posted by terpngator View Post
    OK guys, I'm really struggling here trying to get plumbing set up to run a MAF on my 96 LT going into my 1939 Checy project. These cars 'pinch' really hard in the front making cooling and air intake plumbing VERY challenging. So what are my options if I can't run a MAF in my hot rod?
    Tune it for speed density.
    I believe that without a maf that's your only option.
    1994 LT1/4L60E Formula

That intake elbow looks like it may stick out farther than the ones on a fbody. Have you tried an fbody intake elbow?
    Of course there may still be too little room for a maf.
    Last edited by fbody_Brian; 12-03-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    1994 LT1/4L60E Formula

Recently installed an LT1 in my son's 37 Chevy. Made my own motor mounts so the engine would set lower and back further. Still lacked room for a pull fan..so we installed the biggest pusher fan made by Derale 17" (2) speed.

We wanted to keep the MAF setup so just put together an elbow setup...looks great in person and he hooked up LED's that really light it up at night.

BTW: Check out my forum at: www.RustyBowtie.com

Ed
    Last edited by EDZIP; 12-04-2015 at 12:48 AM.

I was going to suggest the solution that EDZIP has shown. There's a car locally where the same solution was used and he has been driving that car for a number of years that way.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Recently installed an LT1 in my son's 37 Chevy. Made my own motor mounts so the engine would set lower and back further. Still lacked room for a pull fan..so we installed the biggest pusher fan made by Derale 17" (2) speed.

We wanted to keep the MAF setup so just put together an elbow setup...looks great in person and he hooked up LED's that really light it up at night.

BTW: Check out my forum at: www.RustyBowtie.com

Ed
    Thanks Ed. Yeah, that's the route I'm heading in. (see pics) I'm using a Flex-Lite 2700 CFM dual speed fan. My issue is the hood is hitting the sides of the radiator tank. Looks like I'm going to have to move the radiator back about 2" to get it to clear. As you can see, I have VERY little room.

I'm determined to use this LT engine. Caught a LOT of guff from fellows in the club dogging this engine. It runs strong. Any tips you can impart, I'm all ears.

If you need a source for a silicone elbow and aluminum pipe, I can ask my son where he bought it. We have the opti vacuum line and air temp sensor mounted after the elbow. Runs strong and sounds really great.

I bought one of those Rand aluminum radiators on eBay...usually under $150...I have one in my 33 Chevy and a couple of buddies use them also..work great. The Rand radiator fits the radiator support nicely and clears the hood...I suspect it drops down further than yours.

My son drove the car this summer without a temp problem...next year we may drop in a 180 thermostat and drop the fan kick on speeds to match. Installed fan by-pass switches just in case...but never had to use them. I'm just not used to cars running 220(+) degrees and that being normal.